Writing Wednesday - Family Secrets



Who doesn't enjoy a good mystery?


I have dabbled in genealogy for decades now. Most of what I know is actually from some really good family information compiled by someone more knowledgeable than myself. Of course, I do have one which has a lot of flaws in it too. 

But I have recently decided I wanted to really get beef up the information I had on my family. Plus, I decided to make Lady K the 'root' of the tree and add her father's side of the family to the tree. 

What really pushed me to work on the family tree was the 'mystery' of my maternal grandmother and her marriages. And this only adds to a couple of other interesting items I've discovered.

I was in my early teens when I learned my grandfather was actually my step-grandfather. And that he had a daughter. What! Information on this situation was very, very minimal. The whole situation was something which wasn't talked about.

In pulling out files I had compiled over the decades, I located 6 small sheets of paper which not only talked about where my grandmother lived growing up and the moves they made, but also a couple of tidbits about my maternal grandfather and their marriage and how and when she met and married my step-grandfather.

I knew my mother was about 11 when her parents divorced. What I didn't know was he only stayed with my grandmother for two years after they got married and then, about the time my mother was born, he left for two years.

One day I did find out from my mother that my grandmother had gone against the grain and not only started working outside the home, but bought a car and added an indoor bathroom to the house. Bit deal in the late 30's and early 40's!

If I go back along my dad's line, I am descended from 'Virginia Randolph's'. And one interesting item, which I plan on using for a story, is about a set of twins born after their father died. The male was named Grief and the girl, Mourning. I have in mind a story with them being a warlock and witch. But I digress.

Also, a tidbit I remember from something my mother talked about, was one of my great-aunts. She was a writer and wrote for her local newspaper and also from some crime magazines of the day. Problem is she wrote under a male name and I don't know what that name is! The true crime lover in me wants to know.

Mysteries are just on my side of the tree. Since I had a 'Sanders' in my line, I wanted to see if there was a connection to Lady K's father's side of the tree. He is a Sanders. 

No, he isn't!

Actually, back at the time of the Civil War, one of his descendants was a Holliday. Whether that was her maiden name or she was married to a Holliday, I don't know at this time. According to Lady K's father, the family 'story' is that Doc Holliday was involved. She remarried a Sanders and later on the boy took his step-father's name, turning him from Holliday to Sanders.

And people wonder where story ideas come from!

I can't wait. There is still a lot of research to be done on both sides of the tree. And a lot more stories to learn. 







Comments

Popular Posts