Positive Focus Sunday - Garden Tour and 'Tribes'

When we moved to Montana I was super fortunate to find a trio of women who became my 'tribe'. Sisters of my soul and spirit. Even moving back to North Carolina has not broken that bond. We communicate daily via texting, if nothing else. However, I do miss being able to actually meet up with them in person.

One of the reasons I decided to join the Rosemary and Thyme Herb Society and become an Extension Master Gardener was to 'find' like-minded people whose eyes didn't glaze over when I mentioned plants or garden. People who would get equally excited about seed catalogs and digging in the soil. 

And I feel I have found another 'tribe'!

This past week, I joined other Extension Master Gardeners for a walking tour of a retirement village. It turns out many Extension Master Gardeners live there and many of their gardens were open to view.

Not a brief note, the lawns of the 'cottages' are maintained by the community. Therefore, their whole yard, which is small to begin with, can be planted by the tenants. They are restricted to only small areas. And while this style of living is not for me, I do have to say the idea behind the whole community does have a slight appeal. 

Upon arrival at the village, we were given a map of the community with the houses marked where we could view a garden. There are also walking paths throughout the community, mainly to travel from the cottages to the main area for dining and other activities. 

The entrance to the main building is a lovely stonework with arches. Because the whole community is built into hillsides and slopes. Therefore, when you look through the arch you are looking into the top of a lovely Japanese maple.




Because these are set into the covered driveway entrance, the other side of the drive through has another Japanese maple. There is a low stone wall where you can sit and look up into the tree. It makes me want yet another Japanese maple. The one I just bought at the plant sale has regular leaves and I know want one with the really fine leaves.




After walking down one of the paths which lead through the woods to the cottages, we started viewing the gardens which were open to us.




There were two large containers overflowing with begonias. This gives me hope for the begonias I got earlier this spring. I hope my begonias come back year after year (and expand their territory).




This pathway leads up to additional parking for visitors to the cottages. So lovely and I like the seating area tucked into the trees. This is a reminder to me to 'build in' seating areas into my own yard.






And while I am interested in find out more about this flowering plant, what I really like is the plant marker. How cute! And simple! Even I could do this. Plus it seems it would last longer than most markers for plants. Hmmm....seems like a great rainy day project to make these.






There were a couple of water features in this garden. What was interesting was how this feature had the actual waterfall turned toward the window where they could view the running water from inside the house. So smart!



And yet more examples of adding 'whimsy' to the garden. It doesn't have to be just plants, especially if what you have are more green than flowering. 




In one yard was a beautiful display of Crocosmia. I have seen it while watching 'Gardener's World' many, many times. And now I definitely want some in my yard. The orange is so appealing to me. 





This also caught my eye. Acanthus mollis 'Bear's Breeches' I think. Another plant to add to my wish list.  However, it is a plant which needs part sun to shade. Not much of that in my yard...except for the north side of the house...so maybe?


After our walk, we had lunch at the village in their card room.




Lunch was quiche, ham biscuits, fruit cup and a slice of lemon meringue pie. Plus their sweet tea was spot on! And how cute are the centerpieces with the gardening gloves in them!

A real highlight of the morning was walking around and chatting plants with other gardeners. It was so relaxing and entertaining. Which really makes me look forward to the end of the month when the Extension Master Gardening group is touring a couple of other gardens, this time in Charlotte. With lunch out. 

OMG! I'm being social!











Comments

  1. Anonymous8:55 AM

    Wow. Thanks for this
    Beautiful photographs. A truly compelling narrative. I felt I was walking with you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. It means a lot.

Popular Posts