Positive Focus Sunday - Other Gardens!

As a gardener, I feel we always keep learning. One of those ways to learn is to view what others have done in their own gardens. Even if the garden is removed from your own aesthetic, there will be one or two ideas you can take home to your own garden. And Saturday was a perfect example as I, and several dozen others, had the opportunity to wander through the garden of Dana Harper, Extension Master Gardener and Rosemary and Thyme Herb Society of Gaston County member. Well, let's just say 'Garden Genius'! 

Walking down her driveway through a lushly planted front yard (more about that later), one of the first things which pop out is a garden shed.






Then your eye is immediately captured by a large vocal point.





How lovely!

And how doable for someone with a few DIY crafting skills. 

Behind you, against the house, are hundreds of cute decorations and then a rainwater system.





I want to put water barrels in my yard. I have two downspouts at the back of the house by the veggie garden which would be perfect to fit in water barrels. However, I don't have the dollars to spend on 'official' rain barrels. But it seems I don't have too! 

There have been several posts on Facebook Marketplace for food grade barrels for just a few dollars. I can afford those. And if I am worried about mosquitos I can put one of the tablets in there you use on water features. Like Dana's, my barrels would be at the rear of the house and few people would see it. 






One of the things I really like about the garden set-up is that the pathways are not straight lines.




And along the pathways are bits and pieces of different stepping stones. And plants growing up where they 'volunteered'. Plus, Dana has allowed plants to overflow their borders and spill onto the paths. This matches the look I am going for in my own garden. 

Another takeaway from the garden are the many seating areas throughout the garden. There are places in the shade and others in the sun. A fire pit and chairs are in the middle of the back yard. More than one of us want to come over for a glass of wine and a fire in the pit one evening. 

Also, throughout her garden there are dozens of solar powered lights. Some are placed in containers (she uses lots of containers throughout the garden), some are at the edge of the pathway. Yet others are placed further into the planting areas. So smart! And easy and inexpensive.  I can do this. 

This pathway border is so unique and playful.







There is a potting shed which leads to the chicken coop hidden at the back of the yard. And it is such a cute, comfy looking area I wouldn't mind being a hen living there.

A few more bits and pieces. There is no way I can capture everything in her yard without writing a book on it. 




Hundreds of day lilies blooming through the garden. Along with the day lilies there are lots of plants which you can tell have 'moved' themselves and self-seeded. This repeating theme works so well. 




And while mushroom gardening is one of the latest trends in the garden, Dana was ahead of the game with her mushroom patch. 






Most of us would prefer not to come across a snake in our garden. However, this little fellow, which did make me stop and take a second look, I wouldn't mind. Well, I wouldn't mind until I forget he was there and I scared myself. 




And even veggie gardens don't have to be boring. 

Not only has her asparagus reseeded itself at the back of the yard, but throughout the front yard are vegetables sprinkled in with the flowers and shrubs.







But if your idea of a garden is something more formal, there are still take-aways you can use. One of the things which leapt out to me is the 'repeating' of plantings. Throughout the garden are day lilies. While the color changes, there is still the repeating element. Ajuga appears in several spots, along with what I believe is called a 'mole plant'. This repeating element I have already started in my garden with coneflowers, poppies, salvia and rudbeckia. 

There is no way to capture all the wonderful things in Dana's garden. And while I walked through the garden and lusted over different plants, the number of ideas I now have to think about incorporating into my own garden as I build it over the next few years runs into the dozens. I am a 'quirky' gardener and want a lush, overblown garden similar to Dana's. Which is probably why I put a little purple chair in my herb garden.

There is one downside to touring Dana's garden - I now have some many new ideas!



Note: Thanks to Dana for all her hard work and allowing us to tour her garden. 








 

Comments

Popular Posts