Bookish Thursday on Friday - End of the Month Round Up

June has been a good month for me reading-wise.

I finished 18 books. Well, I finished 15 books and DNF 3 books. And of those 15 books, 1 book I rater 'ok' (2 stars) on Goodreads. Five of the books were given 3 stars or 'like'. The remaining 9 books I gave 4 stars too (really like). I consider 60% of the books I finished being really liked by me a very good month.

(Note: Five stars is saved for a book which I feel is life-changing or the story blew my mind.)

To share this bounty of books, I will share the 'really liked' books with you.




I have discovered with my Kindle Unlimited subscription, some of the books are also offered as audio books. These work well for me at work. I can listen as I chop up watermelon. And also keep me from road rage on my 30-45 minute drive to/from work. 

Anyway...

I discovered this new-to-me author, Namrata Patel. Both books deal with the culture surrounding Indian-Americans. It goes into how much family plays a part in their lives, usually with a lot of chai. Not 'chai tea'. Just chai. And I am in an iced chai latte mode right now. 

The books follow two women in their early thirties. There is a major shake-up in their lives and they are forced to deal with family issues. Thrown in is a light romantic subplot. 

I enjoyed this look into another culture and how it blends in to life in America. I appreciated the fact these were successful, independent women in their early thirties. Not 20-something wonders. And the romance seemed very real - it wasn't some fireworks at first meeting. 

In short, they were beautiful stories, well crafted and much enjoyed.

Then there is book 3 in one of my favorite series...




Set in a coffee shop in Japan, this continues the stories from the first and second books. I don't recommend reading this book without reading the first two. There are certain storylines which would not be understood. A short book, like the earlier two, I just adore this series. 

Another series I am in love with...




While I have no issue jumping in the middle of a series and then going back to the first, I do recommend this series in order also. And if you can read this book and the following ones in the series without seeing Dames Judi Dench and Helen Mirren in the main rolls...well, you have no imagination.

Retirees in an adult living community solve cold cases. Then a 'hot' case lands on their doorstep. When you have an ex-MI6 agent (female) with skills and willing helpers, anything can be solved. A great, fun series. I am awaiting book 4 in this series, which is due out this year. 




Another book I stumbled across, and is also on Kindle Unlimited as an audio book, is The Echo of Old Books.

Ashlyn, a rare-book dealer, comes across an old book. No author, no publisher information in the book. Then a second book turns up, which seems to run parallel to the first book. A conversation between a man and woman. Ashlyn wants to know all the 'who, when, where and what' behind the books. In doing so, she pulls in the man who donated the books into the mystery.

Going between the two books from the past and weaving in present day, this is a mystery of family history and misunderstandings. With a hint of romance. I also really enjoyed unwinding the threads of this saga. 

So - 5 of the 9 books I 'really liked' and recommend to anyone. The other 4 are books which I have reviewed or will be reviewing. Or a gardening month-by-month guide.

Pick up any one of these books - or all of them - for some good summer reading!



 








Comments

Popular Posts