Seedy Saturday - Harvesting Can't Be Far Behind!

I am really 'into' my gardening. As in, I have A LOT to do. And after 3.5 inches of rain over the weekend, major weeding has been added to my list of things to do. At least with weeding, it means I can sit on my little stool and move down the row or around the beds. 

Anyway...

While I am a bit bummed my writing isn't really taking off lately, my veggie garden is. It makes me really happy to know harvesting will be starting soon on several items. It's especially exciting since I am growing some 'experimental' vegetables - ones I don't normally eat '. 




This yellow squash is 'Smooth Criminal' and is supposed to be a vertical growing yellow squash. Interesting. My plan is to harvest them while they are still small (but a bit bigger than above) and maybe roast or sauté them. Or chop them up and eat raw in a salad.

Because I don't really use that much kale, I did remove a couple of kale plants which were shading the squash plants. Hopefully this will give them enough light to thrive a bit better. 




The above is a winter squash and supposed to taste a bit like a sweet potato. I like sweet potatoes. So will see. But it does seem to be chugging right along. Once again, this is a 'new-to-me' vegetable.




Broad beans are also another 'new-to-me' vegetable. Can't wait to try these out. Hoping they are similar in taste to a lima bean. 





I have 3 varieties of beans planted around my tepee and they are coming up. I have two green beans and then 1 speckled lima bean. The lima bean variety I am going to allow to dry and harvest the seeds for soups (and planting in the future) this winter. 

The tomatoes planted back on April 22 are setting fruit!




This is a Berkley Tie Dye, which has proven itself to be reliable and super easy to grow. It is also a 'stripy' tomato and tastes pretty good. Ferris Wheel is another one that is reliable and one of the first to set fruit. 

But one that has me excited is my San Marzano tomatoes!




I have 3 of these plants are they are putting out clusters of blooms and setting fruit. I am pretty generous about giving away tomatoes to people. However, I will probably be a bit of a hoarder with these. Of course, I will save some seeds from them, but I will separate them out and make sauce from them.

Since I finished planting the last row in the garden, I am now starring at it, willing it to grow! Can't wait until everything is up and going. Beans are starting to flower on one of the arches. Squashes are setting fruit. 

But the sad thing...

I am already thinking about improvements for next summer!
















Comments

Popular Posts