Seedy Saturday - Harvesting is in Progress!



This was my harvest when I went out to do my garden walk this morning. A bell pepper, a few blackberries and green beans, a couple of jalapeño peppers and some Swiss chard. I added this to the small container of green beans and blackberries I harvested yesterday. 





The winter squash are coming along. The zucchini and yellow squash are still coming along. But they were planted watered. The one problem I'm having is 'pollination'! I am hand pollinating some of the squash as all the bees are hanging out in the front yard. I do have plans for a new 'bed' in the veggie patch area to hopefully attract more bees to the back yard. But they are coming along. And starting to climb the arches.




The three different beans have started up the tepee. And the green beans on the arches in the garden are really starting up them. I do think one of the beans really isn't a runner bean which is a disappointment. But that's ok. I do see a few places I need to plant 'skips'. My brown field peas, okra and yellow squash need to be filled in. 





I am so excited. My onions are getting bigger! I have never had much success in growing onions in the past, so as of right now I am considering this a win. 





My tomatoes are setting fruit and the ones planted later, like these two rows (there is a tomato on each side of the stake), are catching up. My only disappointment so far with the tomatoes is the far end of the first tomato row just isn't doing well. Not sure why. So there are about a dozen or so which seem to be struggling a bit. I will be a bit more generous with the mulch and fertilizer this week to them. 




My herb garden is looking so full and I am loving it. There is a lot of weeding which needs to happen and some more 'stuff' to be planted in and around this area. But right now I am pleased with it.





And this is the wildflower slope. Early this spring it was a slope with clay fill dirt and weeds. I threw a couple of packages of wildflower seeds onto it and crossed my fingers. This is also the area where Slider (all 100 pounds of him) will run up and down the fence when the dog next door comes out. 

But I am so pleased with it. This picture doesn't even being to show the flowers which have sprouted and are blooming. I am hoping it will self-seed and be even better next year.

Around the yard there are still a ton of chores to do. I have 4 flower beds in the front to weed and finish transplanting things into them. I also have started a list of plants which I will need to move and or divide in the fall. My comfrey will need to move into the back yard by the garden fence (when that gets made). My dahlias in that bed have really spread out. I want to take my two peonies and move them into the 'peony' bed (there are 4 other peonies there already). That way they will get more sun and thus I will get more flowers! I think they will be happier there.

A fellow 'plant enabler', and one who has the touch to propagate plants, gave me another car load of plants. Since they are more 'herby', I am going to start a small bed in the back by the veggie garden to help attract more bees to the back. I am hoping that this year, with some borage in the veggie garden itself, it will reseed. 

The biggest task to be accomplished is mowing the yard. I want to get it mowed down this weekend as it is supposed to be rainy this week. Which means coming home after work and getting out the mower. SIGH. 

Anyway...

I am loving this summer so far!












 

Comments

Popular Posts