Seedy Saturday - Growth and Project Updates


 















So...

One of my 'projects', which was further down the list, was to take this space and sink my water feature tub a bit. I have some Siberian Iris rhizomes to get in the ground. This I want to ground around the tub.

Therefore, I got up on Wednesday morning and got to work.




The two pots of dahlias I had grown from seed this spring, when into the back of the herb garden. Some of the spiderwort I had was planted at the back of the tub, along the fence. I also had a couple of plugs of two different ground covers I planted on either side. 

The tub itself was put into the ground about 6 inches and the solar water fountain was dropped into the tub. Where this tub is will be in the 'V' where pathway to the herb garden and the pathway down to the back yard will be. Payday will bring some water plants, fish and mulch. Then this 'project' will be finished!

On the other side of the front yard, dahlias which overwintered in the ground have really grown and spread! I had grown these from seed in 2022 and they did bloom a bit last year. 




Now I have a 'forest' of dahlias. I can't wait until they start blooming. I may try dividing them this winter - dig them up carefully, divide them and then replant them. Will have to see.




The Wild Bergamot, which was grown from seed in 2022, is putting on flower buds. I can't wait for them to start blooming. 

Down in the veggie patch...




I picked up a few peppers and eggplants from NCTomatoMan and popped them into the garden on Tuesday afternoon. 


The last row I planted in the garden...




Corn, lima beans and field peas are coming up. 

The green runner beans are starting to climb the arches. Slowly. Way to slowly for my liking. However, the runner beans I planted around the tepee are looking great. Regardless, they are all looking good.





My Seychelles Runner Beans are flowering. I really like this bean because once it gets going it produces well. What I am really looking forward to, besides my lima beans, are the Cherokee Trail of Tears beans gifted to me. At least that's what we think they are. I also have planted some Black Turtle Beans to dry, along with some Christmas Pole Lima Beans

In order to 'lure' pollinators into the garden, my borage is getting ready to bloom.




I had borage planted in the flower beds out front last year. I was hoping they would self-seed and I would have borage everywhere. Didn't work. Not one plant emerged this year! Sigh.

However, the winter melons are doing well.





My two yellow squash I moved from it's original spot, to somewhere sunnier. They seem to be recovering well and hopefully will start growing. My Cocozelle Summer Squash is doing well. Now if it will start producing female flowers instead of all male flowers. But that's what zucchini does.

My peppers, planted earlier, are setting fruit and growing.





Tomatoes planted back on 22 April are setting fruit. Seeing this is so exciting. Now for the other tomatoes to catch up!

But for now I am making a second cup of coffee and heading outside before 6 a.m. to get the sprinkler started.






















Comments

Popular Posts