Seedy Saturday - Caterpillars and Peppers

A bit of an update on my issue with the HOA. 

They 'reported' me to my property management company. Fortunately, the person there who handles HOA issues is on my side and is trying to come up with a solution to the fact the HOA considers the plant stakes, twine, and chicken wire trellising 'architectural modifications'. Like I was installing a fence or patio. Go figure.

Anyway, I'm on hold about having to remove these items. My feeling right now is if I lose the battle, then I will be the neighborhood witch when the holidays arrive and demand the huge blow-up decorations and lights be removed as they are 'unsightly' and 'don't compliment the house'.

In the meantime...

Normally I wouldn't be excited to see caterpillars in the garden. But this one is exactly where it is supposed to be.




I spotted this little jewel right where it's supposed to be - on my Balloon Milkweed. I am excited! Last summer, when I 'discovered' this plant at Oakdale Greenhouses, it had dozens of caterpillars and tennis ball size 'balls' on them. I can't wait until the 'balloons' form. Hopefully, I will be successful in saving seeds from them. I have about half a dozen of these plants which get tall.  

Once I get a few more caterpillars, I will probably take a few and put them in a large container and let Lady K watch them make their cocoons and hatch. They did a type of little butterfly at the end of the school year, but it would be great to hatch out monarchs. My contribution to the dwindling monarch population.

I have also achieved watermelons!


There are several little melons and Lady K delighted in trying to see where there were more melons.

My Sugar Pie Pumpkins and Jack O'Lantern Pumpkins are trying to set fruit. Fingers crossed. I'll settle for one or two off each plant.

Cucumbers are doing well. I think I have enough now in the crisper to attempt to make a jar or two of pickles.


I will probably make a jar of lemon cucumber pickles and a jar of 'regular' pickles. I love how you don't see any fruit and then all of a sudden, you move a leave and there they are. Tricky devils.

I love lima beans and this is the first time I have grown lima beans.


While I won't have enough to freeze, I will hopefully have enough for a couple of meals. But they are covered with flowers. I should also be picking beans this weekend. Hopefully, Sunday morning with a cup of coffee to fuel me through harvesting.

Peppers!




I have peppers! Lots of peppers! 

While my sweet, bell-type peppers aren't getting very large, they are 'getting'. I am usually happy to get one or two on a plant, but this year I will be handing them out to friends. Lots of little bell peppers. 

I also have a ton of hot peppers. I bought a pack of 'Cayenne Blend' and have a ton of mixed hot peppers. These I will pick and pickle. With the purple, red, green colors it will make a lovely jar of peppers for use in cooking in the winter.

And not to be left out are the tomatoes.


Those which will be big.



Massive sprays of cherry tomatoes.


Next Thursday I am off work and plan on making a jar or two of pickles and maybe a little jar of hot peppers. I will also probably harvest some herbs for drying and using over the winter months. I have some cute spice jars I bought at Goodwill and want to redo all my spices. 

Grow on garden!




Comments

Popular Posts