Seedy Saturday - Rainy Days and Peppers

After weeks of no rain, we are now set for several days of day. Unfortunately, some of it is forecast to be heavy. A few days of rain like we had on Friday would be nice - just a nice steady rain for a few hours.

Anyway...


I strolled through the garden early this morning since I didn't have to water for once. And came in with a huge handful(s) of various hot peppers.

Which means I now need to start finding a 'small batch' recipe for saving hot peppers, probably pickled. 

My tomatoes are getting taller and the cherry and grape tomatoes are just covered in blooms.


I have tiny tomatoes everywhere. 

I have to say (knock on wood) this garden, so far, has been one of the best I have had in years! Everything is lush and doing well, especially the tomatoes. Despite being crowded together which would make other gardeners cringe, I have had very little issues with disease and pests. In fact, last year I was plagued with tomato hornworms and I haven't seen one (so far) this year.

I do have a couple of 'issues' with the garden this year. And both of them are all my fault. I only have myself to blame.

The first one is labeling. I tried and am about 50/50 on labeling success. Most of my peppers and a lot of the tomatoes have 'lost' their label. Or the ink/pencil I used for writing the name has washed off. Which makes some things very interesting.

Luckily, with the peppers, it is fairly easy to tell the bell peppers from the hot peppers. My problem is telling the hot peppers apart. 

The second 'issue' is the amount of cherry and grape tomatoes I have growing. I have more of them than I have of the 'big' ones. Sigh. It makes canning a bit more of a challenge. Yes, I will can cherry tomatoes if I have too many. A bit more time consuming, but I will do it.

So this morning, before it started raining again and I have to take Lady K down to South Carolina to stay the week with her other grandparents and go to Vacation Bible School, I 'trimmed' some of the tomato plants. And I put some of the suckers I removed in water and will put them out in the melon patch when they root. I know - crazy!




Comments

  1. love your writing. great descriptions. careful with the peppers!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. It means a lot.

Popular Posts