Tuesday Sundries - Cooking for One!

The end of this week signals a major change in my lifestyle!

Lady K will be through with school until August. Which means...

She won't be living with me during the week!

I will be officially a semi-empty nester!

During the week she will be with Texter, the weekends she will be with me. Well, every other weekend that is.

So I will be working. Working and working, with a bit of gardening thrown in. (And a few day trips thrown in.)

It also means I will be basically cooking for myself. Which is the problem.


I haven't cooked for one for any length of time. I learned to cook for a family of five growing up or my grandfather's railroad crew, which often meant 20-25 hungry men. Cook for one?

So...

Looking at my desire to 'eat better' and to save money, I need to really meal plan. I also want to incorporate new recipes.


I watch their videos on YouTube and really enjoy his grocery store walk-throughs. I will be trying some of their recipes. 

This past weekend, with my grocery store 'haul', I am starting. 

I cleaned out the fridge and freezer. Then the pantry, organizing as I went along. Of course, the dog assisted by going through the trashcan overnight. "Sigh"

Savvy assisted by taking my extra lettuce/spinach/kale, along with some bell pepper strips and the bottle of olives which we bought a while back and which I won't use. 

I made some red beans and a batch of rice, of which I am also sharing with Savvy. She is more than accommodating with my 'left-overs'. I just need to remember to get the plastic containers back from her. I also purchased a little grill so I can grill meat this summer. 

For lunches this week I have the following...
  • Pimento Cheese (homemade)
  • Salads
  • Rice/Beans
The big reason for planned lunches is work. Food Lion has a fantastic deli area where I could get countless sandwiches, chicken wings and fried chicken. I need to stay away from it, for my wallet, as well as my waist!

For dinners, I have the following...
  • Steak Kabobs
  • Hamburgers

I will grill the kabobs and hamburgers and reheat as needed. Salad with the kabobs. 

And lots of fruit. Strawberries, cherries, peaches and watermelon are ready to go. 

Next week I am thinking about being 'fishy'.





Comments

Popular Posts