Positive Focus Sunday - Meet-Up at Reynolda Gardens!

Thanksgiving was spent cooking. And then dispersing food. Savvy and Mr. Arizona stopped by for a late lunch on her way to work and to take home food. I dropped off food to a friend (and ex-manager) afterwards. 

Then on Saturday, I met up with my friend in Winston-Salem to hand off another basket of 'left-overs'. It was my first time to visit the Reynolda House Village and Garden area. And I will definitely be back!





Unfortunately, since we were there on a Saturday the greenhouses were closed. They are only open Tuesday - Friday, so we missed out a bit of what we wanted to see. But it is an excuse to come back during the week in early spring or summer.





I met up with my needle working, book reading buddy - Miss Texas. (Her family is in North Texas.) We have plans for lots of meet ups in 2022!




A view from the garden up to the greenhouses. 




I understand why there are signs about having to register to take 'professional' pictures in the gardens. A lovely wedding dress would be really nice photographed in front of this Victorian looking greenhouse.

I was really excited about the gardens, at least this front part of the gardens. They are set-up as a formal garden, but with a twist.






There are roses everywhere, but the rest of the garden area is a vegetable garden! Which spoke to me and my own gardening plans.

Of course, their vegetable plots are set up in a formal garden style for the most part. Geometric beds planted this time of the year with broccoli, lettuces, kales, and the like. 












One take-away I have at the back of my mind are these trellis for the garden. 




I may do something similar against the back wall of the house without arching it over. However, I might also do this and put tomatoes on the outside and use it to tie them up on while providing a 'fun' tunnel for Lady K. I also might try tomatoes on the outside and then something like a vining gourd on the inside. Hmmmm... Lots to think about. 

After a stroll around the front part of the garden, we wandered through the Village down to Village Tavern for lunch. 




I pigged out dined on She-Crab soup and half a club sandwich. Both were very, very yummy and the soup was really nice on a cool fall day. Needless to say, I didn't take home any leftovers.

Plans are being made for a revisit during the week in spring or early summer. I would love to see the roses and garden in bloom. Definitely on the NEED TO VISIT list!












Comments

Popular Posts