Seedy Saturday - Seed Saving and Organization

As I sit down to write this post, I realize I still have a pile of paper plates with tomato seeds on them to put into envelopes and log...sigh.

Anyway...




I spent Tuesday FINALLY separating out my seeds I have attempted to save from the garden this past summer. I have to say I only like to eat one or two meals with some fried okra during the year. And this year, in my 4x4 bed, my 4 okra produced like crazy. Far more than I have gotten from growing them in a container. But I left a couple of okra on the plant and now have enough okra seed for the next few years! Plus, I don't have to grow 4 plants, because that's what comes in the container from the nursery. I am only going to plant 2 this coming year.

While I was going through my old seeds and my new seeds and packaging up the few seeds I saved during the year, I made a quick and simple spread sheet to try and keep track of the seeds I have on hand. 




I basically have listed the 'category' - tomato, herb, vine, etc - and the name and whether I purchased it, saved it or was gifted it. Just a quickie reference. I have about 90 packages of seeds so far, without listing the 6-8 tomato seed types I saved. Or the notebook of purchased seeds I purchased a couple of years ago which are somewhere in a box upstairs.

But hopefully I can keep this list going. I would like to add another column (or just add to notes) if and when I plant it and the results.

Winter sowing will be taking place in the next week or so. I have large bag of potting soil on hand. And I want to direct sow some lettuce, spinach and kale in the 4x4 beds.

Let the seeding begin!





Comments

Popular Posts