Writing Wednesday - The First 10 Days!

 I am no where near where I wanted to be with NaNoWriMo this year. As of yesterday, I was at 15,307 words, about 1300 words short of where I 'should' be.

And personally, since I am aiming for 60,000 words, I am about 9000 words behind. But...


I put in about 4500 words yesterday on my day off and that is with having to go to the store for groceries. So a really good day word count wise.

One thing I am discovering is I am really enjoying my 'process' I set for for this year. I have a pretty good outline and a chapter/scene set up. My idea was to write a scene a day. However, some of the scenes have expanded and will now comprise two chapters rather than one. 

It's great to sit down with an index card with what the scene is supposed to be about and to write away. For this "Rough, Rough Draft" I am concentrating on getting the scene down. Who's in it, what's going on, brief descriptions and dialog. 

Actually, at this point in time someone could pick up what I've written and read it, understanding pretty well what is going on. It wouldn't be the greatest thing ever and pretty flat for the most part, but all the 'stuff' is there.

Once November is over, I will print out what I have and go back, rewriting the "Rough, Rough Draft" into a more readable and functional story. It will be a chapter by chapter rewrite with all the information about the scene, characters and story fleshed out - a bit more polished.

I have also found writing with ambient music in the background really works well. I can get quite a few words done in a sprint this way. 

So today and tomorrow after work, I hope to get through two more chapters in the book and then another big session of writing on Friday, my next day off. By then, the 13th (I love Friday the 13ths! by the way), I hope to have my word count doubled or close to it.

Wish me luck!




Comments

Popular Posts