Positive Focus Sunday - Gardeners Are Nature's Optimists!

 It's no secret I have a fangirl crush on Monty Don and Gardeners' World. I want his books, I want his garden, I look forward to Friday nights and I can watch the next episode.

Episode 30 (October 9, 2020) had a segment with Kate Garraway, who is a British TV personality. Her husband was struck with Covid at the start of it all and is still in the hospital. There were times it was doubtful he would make it. The struggle is continuing.

However, 


she talks about how the garden has been a source of comfort for her and her children through this difficult time. 

But the thing I found most interesting was she referred to gardeners as being 'optimistic' and hopeful people. 

OK.

That set my 'little grey cells' (too much Hercule Poirot recently) working.


And I really think we are!

Despite everything going on, gardeners are forward thinking. We are planning the next season of planting. We plant a tree, knowing it will be a few years before it reaches the growth we want. We are looking on the calendar to see when the first or last frost date is predicted and planning when we should sow seeds or prune back vines and shrubs. 


For myself, I planted green beans, hoping I get a bit off them before it gets too cold. I have lettuces planted for salads and figure they will last a while, even if it does turn cold. I have my garden journal started and seed catalogs requested. There are a couple of sticky notes about ordering garlic (almost too late) and potatoes (soon). 


We create a sanctuary where we can relax and reflect. It might be reflecting on the next garden chore, but we have a space to sit and 'be'. 

I have gardened in yards, in containers, and on apartment balconies. I have plants in my house all year. I feel 'centered' when I can touch soil and leaves. There is something so magical about watching the first little bit of green push through soil and reach for the light. 

And regardless of the obstacles, whether it be weather, insects or rabbits, we keep on planting. And hoping. 





Comments

Popular Posts