Writing Wednesday - Finalizing Preptober

 I am feeling great in the fact I am actually 'doing' writing. 

For the longest time I didn't count my posts as actual writing. I started counting my words for my posts on the 10th of October, including it with my word count for Preptober. And guess what? Over 10,000 words! So I am writing!

Anyway...





















I 'cleared' the board, so to speak. The cards underneath it are from the Fabula Deck. These are considered 'asset' cards and range from prompting you to think about your hero, allies and enemies to subplots, moldboards and magical concepts. Those will be dealt with prior to November 1.

But this is how the board looks now.





















So this is what it looks like now.

I have a couple of word count tracker for November and NaNoWriMo. I have my list of 'rewards' for certain milestones in word count.

I sketched out, and definitely not to scale, a map of 'Greycliffs' and Laurel's house. Hopefully, these drawing will keep me at least fairly on track with the physical aspect of where things are located. 

In addition to the board, I repurposed a 2019-2020 calendar into a writing planner. 



If I was using this calendar as my main planner, it would bother me to have it 're-dated'. However, as it is not, it doesn't bother me. I used colored dots to cover the original date and wrote in the 2020 date. I'm find with it. I am going to note my work days on the calendar as I get them during the month so I know what days I have all day to write and those days I only have a couple of hours to write.


Then I took my scene/chapter cards, all 25 of them, and placed one a day. Fortunately, that takes me to the day before Thanksgiving. My 'plan' is to write a chapter a day. On days when I am off I want to be able to play catch up or get ahead, whichever it may be. 

This way of setting up the writing really appeals to me. The past month I have my little planner with post themes on the appropriate days. Then I can jot down what I am going to write about on a particular day. And it has really been working out well.

I know what I have already written and ideas for future posts. Thus, on days I am off work or family obligations, I can write several posts and be ahead of the game rather than missing a day (or days or week).

So with a clear sense of what I want to write about on a particular day, I am not struggling to think 'where am I' in the story or 'what now?'. It's right there in front of me.

Not to say these are set in stone, but they give me a really clear picture of the path I want to take.


Last, but definitely not least, is my series 'bible'. I have my outline and a back up copy of my scene cards. There are sections for characters, the world, research and notes/ideas. Since this is a big binder and I don't have much in it yet, I also have some of my 'how-to' print outs in the back. 

I also have a flash drive to back up my writing on now! 

So I am feeling really positive about the outcome of NaNoWriMo 2020! 





Comments

Popular Posts