Too Much Bread?

Can you possibly ever have too much bread?  Especially, crunchy crusted bread?  Unfortunately, I think so.  I used the No Knead Bread recipe again because I wanted some artisan style bread to eat during my vacation.  I love the recipe, because even I can make it work.  However, it does produce enough for a whole family - way too much for 1 person (even one with dogs!)



So here it sits in all it's yeasty glory.  All bubbly and wonderfully smelly after sitting overnight.  So taxing....mix flour, water, salt and yeast and just let it sit for 12-18 hours.  Let me wipe the sweat off my brow.

Then dump it into a pre-heated dutch oven and cover and bake for about an hour.  (Actually, I probably  need to cook just a tad longer.)



But it is a huge, dutch oven sized loaf.  

And then I 'found' this blog.....The Italian Dish.  My new, favorite, drool over site.  The list I have of recipes to try is LLLLLOOONNNNGGGGG from here.  Limoncello is probably a project I will do in the spring for some lovely lemonade with a kick for the summer.

Anyway, they used the same recipe, but put the dough in the refrigerator and cut off 'hunks' and made smaller loaves.   Hhhhhmmmmmmm......I could have fresh bread every 3-4 days and not waste any (after all there is only so many bread crumbs and croutons you can have).  It will also allow me some experimentation in seasonings, like rosemary, olive oil and sea salt.  Or a cinnamon, raisin bread.

So I will probably make a new batch on Christmas Eve so I can have some fresh bread on Christmas to go with my roasted hen.

Comments

Popular Posts