Week In Review - September 24 - 30

This isn't going to be my normal week in review. 

You know every now and then you have one of those days which are just special.

Well, Saturday was it for us.

Photo courtesy of Cornel Lab of Ornithology



See him?

We did (or rather one like him) sitting at the edge of the highway on the way to Tizer Gardens and their Fall Festival.

I saw this 'bundle' beside the road and as we drove past I saw him sitting there. He looked 'alive' and I quickly pulled over. 

As fate would have it we were right by the rest stop exit, so I stopped and Texter hopped out to run back up the road.

She said she was a little nervous approaching it and was hoping it didn't flap out into the road if it was alive.

She slowly approached and removed her gray pea jacket (which I need to wash for her) and laid it over the owl. Carefully 'scooping' the jacket edges up under the owl, she walked back to the car. I settled her in the back of the minivan and took the next exit back to Helena and Montana Wild

I thought they were closed on the weekends to visitors, but hoped we would be in time for the feeding session....and we were.


Shhhh....I'm not suppose to share a picture on 'social media', but figure I only have a couple of dozen readers on my blog!

While his wing is broken, we are hoping he isn't too injured he can survive, even if in captivity. We can call Monday and see how he (or she) is doing. Currently he is on a 72 hour watch for concussion and brain clots.

The downside to this rescue effort was he did squeeze a couple of Texter's fingers. Luckily, through the coat. But they are a bit bruised and swollen and hurt a bit. Of course, it is her right hand, which makes homework a bit difficult.

However, she is forgiving and walking around going 'I can't believe I had an owl in my lap!'

After handing him off to Montana Wild (and they probably just gained a couple of new volunteers), we headed back out to Tizer Gardens.


It was cool and grey, looking like it would rain at any moment, which only intensified the colors of the garden.

Lady K was more interested in running around and finding the signs for the scavenger hunt, but I loved the colors.


How could you not love these colors!

Frankly, fall is a huge toss up as whether it is better than spring for beauty in the garden for me.





Lady K loves running around all the paths and 'mazes' here. This is a place I will sorely miss when we move back to North Carolina.




The creek was gurgling away and I know it will soon be covered in ice. 

Unfortunately, they didn't have any apple cider (yet - hopefully this week), but I bought a couple of pounds of Zestar apples which are really good. And just the right size for Lady K to devour.




Even Texter and Lady K matched the scenery...


And I found this guy...


I think even CJ would let me have this guy in the garden and not complain.

I don't know how the coming week will top Saturday, but I'll try. After all we can check and see if "our" owl is going to make it or not.

But for now, settling in for a few days of grey, possible snowy, days. I need more coffee!

Comments

  1. Rescuing the owl and the glorious, glowing, colors do my heart good on this day of tragedy in Las Vegas. Thank you.

    Mokihana

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. It means a lot.

Popular Posts