Writing Wednesday - PrepTober is a Win!

 I have written about NaNoWriMo several times over the years. In fact, while in Montana, I was a Municipal Liaison for a couple of years.

Now, October is considered 'PrepTober', the month to get ready for NaNoWriMo. It consists of not only deciding what to write in November, but also, if you are a 'plotter', outlining, making scene cards, gathering materials, deciding on how you want to reward yourself (if you want).

Several authors also offer loads of videos and workbooks on getting ready for NaNoWriMo. A couple of my favorites are Sarra Cannon at HeartBreathings, Brittany Wang at Author Brittany Wang and Kristen Martin. 


I am working on a story I have been 'working on' for a couple of years now it seems. I am determined to get it out onto paper and into the hands of beta readers. So I have been prepping like crazy over the past week.


I have a good outline set down. I have 25 scene cards, which are basically chapters. I have a name list started with names I already have and names on hand to use when a new character emerges. 

A calendar has been laid out with days I know I won't get any writing done (like Thanksgiving Day). I updated my wallpaper on my laptop with a NaNoWriMo theme to remind myself to be writing and not 'vegging-out'.

There is a list I have made up to reward myself at 10,000 word increments. I have word tracker sheets ready to go, plus a short list of a few office supply items I feel I 'need'. 

I have also discovered I really work better with headphones on, listening to ambient music. I think the act of putting on the headphones allows me to shut out the world and to be less distracted. I used Lady K's headphones over the past weekend and it really pushed up my work/word count. So a trip to Staples this week and a couple of little tasks left to finish and I am all set.

Come on November!





Comments

Popular Posts