18 Years Ago Today....









I was in the hospital, nursing this being. She was much, much smaller then, but not any less cute. Well, actually, she was awfully wrinkly and not really all that cute to be honest. But they told me I had to take her home. Since they had given me happy drugs, I agreed.




When I knew I was going to have a baby I did not ask if it was going to be a boy or a girl. I KNEW it was going to be a boy....Matthew Randolph would be his name. We called the growing baby "Wilbur", like on Mr. Ed before she was born. And then we realized we needed a girl's name.




I had just finished teaching a class at work and there was a girl named "Tennessee" which I thought was wonderful (I am from Tennessee) and she thought it sucked. So I suggested "Carolina"...as IN THE STATE OF NORTH CAROLINA. Her father, being a huge UNC fan, quickly agreed.







And so she grew....ok, we will not mention she just bought herself a set of 3 sippy cups. Yes, they had "Belle" on them, but really!







And as she grew she discovered reading and all the joys it can bring....like excuses not to clean your room. She started out with fantasy and horror and then, unknown to her mother, starting reading her mother's romances. Alas, men in kilts are no longer safe. As are men with really long white blonde hair.




Besides reading, she enjoys writing. Usually about herself and the things going on in her life. And drawing. She has made several self portraits throughout her life.




And this......












And more recently, this.....















And she has always been a good student.......










playing well with others.

She is not afraid of dressing up and in fact, loves to put on different costumes......






and play dress up and do her hair differently.....











She then discovered boys. First, she tried making her own "man", but her efforts were short lived.
















Now my baby is growing/grown up. She is in control of her future and has a bearing about her which few can match.










But hopefully, despite being "grown up" and an "adult", my wish for her is that throughout her life she never forgets to be a kid....................










Happy 18th birthday......Love, Mom













Comments

Popular Posts