Batches and Punches at Gulch Distillers

There are going to be several places I will miss when we depart Montana in May, but Gulch Distillers will probably be one of the top, if not the very top, place both Savvy and I will mourn for.

Gulch Distillers started out as Triple Divide and was one of the first places Savvy and I visited and fell in love with. Imaginative drinks and you can see, right behind you, where the vodka (at that time) was coming from. 

A few months later, Steffen and Tyrell bought it, eventually renaming it Gulch Distillers and it has been pure magic from the start. The Neighborhood Apple Brandy released this year was gone in a matter of days. Luckily, I grabbed a couple of bottles, one for immediate consumption and another as a stocking stuffer.

 

Soon, there was an expanded choice of alcohol and classes!

Boy, oh, boy, have I fallen in love with the classes.

This past Saturday was all about "Punches and Batches", just in time for holiday get-togethers.

The class started with Tyrell and his wonderful, wonderful EggNog. 


I haven't been much of an eggnog drinker in the past, mainly because I felt the bourbon or whiskey taste was so overpowering. But he used rum and it was just enough and yummy.


I think the best thing I am getting out of these classes are the little tips and hints I had no idea about. Like the one about eggnog. I didn't know you could keep it in the refrigerator for not only, days and weeks, but years! The alcohol used in it keeps the eggs and milk from spoiling. And actually, aging the eggnog for at least a few days helps mellow out the flavor. Although this one, made and consumed in less than an hour, was plenty good.

Spiced Rum was used in this recipe, but Savvy and I are going to try some with the Apple Brandy I have too. CJ likes eggnog, so this is something he would probably enjoy too. It's been added to the Thanksgiving menu and can't wait to make it a couple of days ahead and then sip on Thursday.

Next was the Flintlock Pistol which is made and served at Gulch, but in this case, made into a batch. The premise is, make a batch and store in the freezer or fridge until needed.  Spiced rum, coffee syrup, orange bitters are involved. Savvy and I passed on sampling this one (since there is a limit on what you can consume at a distillery) because we can go in and order any day.

The next one was a Billingsley Punch - 


Gin, grapefruit juice, lemon juice, cinnamon syrup are combined and then put into a bottle and chilled until needed. Then it's combined with soda or a sparkling wine and served.

Couple of takeaways from this class which really makes Savvy and I very happy - 

  • Make a batch and keep chilled or in the freezer until needed. It can be anything from the above drinks to a batch of Manhattans. This is exciting for Savvy because she is planning on being the home everyone comes to for entertaining. By making up batches you can serve and mingle and not be behind the bar making drinks. (I see a bar freezer/refrigerator in her future.) It also helps in 'recycling' bottles.
  • Secondly, she is going to let me make syrups and 'brews' I've picked up from other classes. There will be ginger beer, amaros, syrups and the likes being made. I love concocting these!

But back to Gulch Distillers.

They have renovated the tasting room. It was small to begin with, but the changes they have made elevated it to the next level.

The old, dark, penny bar was removed and replaced by a lovely, thick, light butcher block top, brightening up the area. Secondly, they carried this butcher block look to the shelving behind the bar. It's country/rustic and chic. The metal and wood work so well together I may steal their idea for the shelves when we get our new house.

Secondly, it may sound 'country', but once again, it works and takes it to a new level - Mason Jars! Large mason jars along the shelves hold spices and herbs they utilize in making their amaros and syrups. Butcherblock and mason jars give the tasting room a clean and a vibe I really love.

Third - they are inventive. They are constantly upping the game, whether it be a new ice maker which makes these fantastic ice cubes or a centrifuge to do extractions in mere minutes rather than hours or days. 

Don't let the aprons and beards fool you, they could hold their own in any high-priced bar in New York or LA. Every time I go in they have attended a workshop, are brewing something new - and this doesn't include the 'special' drinks they come up with on almost a weekly basis. 

Keeping my fingers crossed I can get some of their whiskey which is currently aging before I leave (or have a nice friend who will get it and mail it to me!).





Comments

  1. Ah, I so want a place like this around the corner from me. I LOVE that they do classes and tastings, and seem to be really supportive of educating on mixology. Eggnog with rum is a definite plus over eggnog with brandy- I had no idea it could keep for years! Wow.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. It means a lot.

Popular Posts