Seedy Saturday - Yard is 'Springing'!






'Elberta' and 'Contender' are all dressed up for springtime! Beautiful pink blooms. Contender is a darker pink than Elberta. Both are peaches.




My Toka, aka Bubblegum, plum is all about swelling buds. And it should be opening up in the next week or so. Beside it, I just planted my Methley plum nearby, so it has a bit of catching up to do.

Since I did plant my Sure Crop nectarine and the Pineapple and 20th Century Pear too, I managed to get a nice border around with with paving stones, laying down some cardboard to stop weeds under a layer of mulch. Anna Apple and Moonglow Pear are still in their pots awaiting planting.  I do have 2 other apple trees I planted last year. And I still want a couple of cherry trees and probably an apricot tree for my 'orchard'. 



The asparagus is 'shooting' up. And it is killing me not to harvest it. But I know my restraint this year will yield a much better harvest next spring. I will be planting borage in the open space in the asparagus bed. 




The first of two comfrey plants is really 'springing' forth. It is also crowding out poppies. I will be digging it up and moving it around the yard. Hopefully, I can divide it into a couple of plants this year. I really want to bump up comfrey use as compost and mulch this year. 




The eucalyptus I bought at the herb sale last year, which grew to about 18-24 inches and just 2 stems last year, is putting out all kinds of branches on one of the branches. It survived in a large pot in the middle of the front yard over winter. Can't wait to see how much growth it puts on this year. 





The 'rescue' hydrangea, which if I remember correctly, is a 'petite' one. But it is putting out a ton of leaves. Considering I thought it had died over the summer, this is really exciting. 



In the same pot with the eucalyptus is a lot of mint. And talk about some wild growth! It's actually pretty good, as I need to dig some out and pot up as an example for a herb talk next weekend. 




And the Raspberry Shortcake, which I bought and recently put in a container, has a couple of blooms on it. I have it planted in a container. I also have two different blueberry bushes also in containers. All three are promoted as being container plants, so we will see. 





Tulips are opening up all over the yard, in the ground and in tops. While I never thought I would be a tulip fan, they are capturing my heart. The in-ground tulip patch will have the weeds removed and some zinnias (probably) sowed in there for the summer. 

All this growth is exciting. I can't help but feel optimistic about the yard this year. 





 

Comments

Popular Posts