Baby Quilt Accomplished

I 'wake up' last Thursday, realizing I need to get a baby gift together for a baby shower on Sunday.  Basically, three days away.  Of course, I have only had months to do this gift, as the baby shower was planned for after the baby arrived.  I figured I would do my usual baby quilt.  They are tough and take the abuse over the years.  We have one I made just before Savvy was born and it's still in use (with a couple of mending spots).

As it happened, Joann's had a sale on flannel.  Relief number one.  Then I came across this design by Amy Smart at Diary of a Quilter.  It was simple, looked easy and quick and different from my usual whole cloth baby quilt (sigh of relief).  Before work I ran into Joann's and picked out 8 different fabrics, 6 for the front, 1 for the back and 1 for the binding.



I went with bright for the front, as you can see.  Looking back, I should have selected at least 8 for the front or even 12 in order to get different block combinations.  The back, I selected a calm or softer look.  The binding is this hot pink 'pok-ka' dots, as Lady K says.


Texter liked the design, but felt the fabric selections were just not her.  Good thing it wasn't for her.  I do need to work on my points a bit.  The quilting on the quilt is just a simple echo quilting on the inside of the blocks.  I used a basic pink Coats & Clark cotton thread on the quilt, both for piecing and quilting.  My stash of threads isn't all that great - yet!


For the binding, I used Amy's binding tutorial.  This was the first time I had used this method of binding and I have to say I really love the look and feel of it.  It's easy and I can see this becoming my go-to method for binding a quilt.  It gives the quilt a nice 'heft' on the edge and very easy to do.

Now my big issue with this pattern is (1) it's easy and (2) I have 3 layer cakes in my stash now screaming to be used for an adult quilt using this pattern.  I want to do four stars and put them together for a quilt.  It would make the quilt huge (84 x 84), but would be very simple to make.

It seems my list of projects keeps growing and not decreasing. 


Comments

  1. I LOVE it! Turned out so great. I'm so glad the pattern was helpful. :) I love the idea of four big stars!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. It means a lot.

Popular Posts