Positive Focus Thursday - Slowly But Surely I'm Driving On!

I have struggled, battled with, whatever you want to call it, my finances for decades. 

Finally, I decided I couldn't continue the way I was going - mentally and physically. And I started turning my life and money around.

It hasn't been easy. Especially when you grow up in a family where finances was never talked about. A big part of me thought that was how it was supposed to be. And I also thought I was the only one in the world with these problems.

Then I started watching a couple of YouTube vloggers and realized I wasn't alone with my struggles. Slowly, very slowly, I started making changes. 

A little over a year now, my credit rating, while still far from great, has improved dramatically. I have a bit of something saved. I sleep better. Mentally I am not worried about how I will be paying bills each month. 

Don't get me wrong, it has been a struggle, especially with myself and decades of abusing money.

And then my old grey minivan started flashing lights and signaling things were not quite right. So I had some repairs made. But it was evident, as she neared 200,000 miles, more money was going to be needed to keep her upright and rolling.

I started looking to see what was out 'there'. You know, in the ether, something to wish for. I knew I didn't want a new car. Paying $500-$600 a month for a car payment was not something I was willing to commit to.

Then I found my 'White Knight'.



A 2017 Subaru Forester.

He is just a basic model, no bells or whistles, and under 50,000 miles.

But the BEST part!

I qualified for financing which wasn't double digits. Frankly, the fact I qualified for financing was remarkable, given my financial past. So I have a payment I can actually afford without it being a huge strain on my budget.

I had some money saved already and it just covers the down payment. Insurance, because I haven't had any accidents or tickets anytime in the near past, is not all that more than what I was currently paying on my old car.

It has taken me by surprise. So much so, the Old Grey Goose is filled with junk and needs to be cleaned out, which will be interesting chore today as it is supposed to be rain and thunderstorms all day. 

Hopefully, I will get her cleaned out and be able to pick up the 'White Knight' tomorrow after work or early Saturday morning. I can't wait until Lady K sees her new ride. 

Talk about an incentive to continue down the road I am on. I am looking forward to many years of rides in my new vehicle. And more trips through the carwash, much to Lady K's delight.

Comments

Popular Posts