No-Knead Bread Results

I am not the fastest to pick up on an idea.  Actually, I am probably the last person to find out about an idea or technique.  Which is one reason why I depend on reading other people’s blogs to be sure I am at least partially in the loop of what’s going on.

Another thing I was late in coming to was ‘artisan’ breads.  Now that is not entirely my fault. I first found out there was something other than Wonder Bread (nothing wrong with it, especially for a fresh bologna sandwich with real tomatoes) when I was in high school and went on a school trip to Italy.  Crunchy rolls and breads!

I was in my early 20’s before I discovered la Madeleine in Dallas.  This was worth a trip across town, with the traffic, the side streets to get there and have a croque-monsieur sandwich (trust the French to make a great ham and cheese sandwich).  Buy a loaf or 2 of bread to take home.  Not to mention the tons of pastries.  This was not the local grocery store with the icing which could last until the next century on a chocolate or yellow cake.

I tried and tried.  But I have never gotten the knack of kneading dough.  I have a bread machine.  Just didn’t come up with the results I wanted.

And then…….

NO-KNEAD BREAD!!!!!

Actually, what got me going was the YouTube video on how to make it with Mark Bittman of the NY Times.  Of course, if you search YouTube you can find a ton of others who have made it.

And the results….

DSCN0141 This is the dough after sitting about 12 hours.  I mixed it up about 9pm the night before, let the oven (electric) warm slightly, turned it off, covered by bowl with plastic wrap and let it set.

The next morning, about 11am, I turned it out.  My problem was it was not quite as firm as his appeared to be, although it did look good, but still a little runny.  I let it rise again for about 2 hours.

Now I am a poor chef.  I do not have a cast iron dutch oven.  But will cheerfully accept one if anyone needs to get rid of one.  So I use my el-cheapo metal dutch ovens I make pasta in and threw the dough in a pre-heated pan in a 475 degree oven and put the lid on it.

Thirty minutes later I took the lid off and let it cook for about 20 more minutes.  And the finished loaf….

DSCN0143

DSCN0142

Crunchy crust, good taste, and super easy.  The downside, OD walked around glaring at me because her mouth was still sore from her teeth being removed and couldn’t eat it.

So for this bread…time…yes, you do have to plan it out because I think you need the full fermentation time.  Cost…I think about 50 cents.  Three cups of flour plus a little is the most costly ingredient.  Pleasure and taste…..fantastic!

 

Comments

Popular Posts