Seedy Saturday - Seedling Updates

Yes, I still have several trays of seedlings to deal with.

However, Mother Nature is not cooperating with temperatures. She keeps giving us nice days and then threats of frost at night. I figure she is proving who is in charge around here!

Plus, I haven't finished mowing and setting up my fencing around the veggie garden area. I have tidied up and moved things from the porch to the back patio. Progress is being made slowly, but surely.

Inside the house, because my outside greenhouse is full...




The dragon fruit needs to be repotted, especially since I want to get rid of a bunch of it. And I have a yellow dragon fruit to start seeds from. The sweet potato (and I started a bit late) is putting on it's first slip. Not sure my sweet potato growing will be all that productive this year. 




This is a tray on the table which I need to pot up. On the agenda for today is more potting soil. I am really excited about the dahlias on the front row. These are from Swan Island Dahlias and I have no idea what will be grown from them. Also about half of them are a lighter green foliage, which is something I plan to watch. It's not from lack of nutrition, but rather the type of dahlia. Now I need to get some dahlias with the dark foliage. 




Another tray which could be going outside, but there is no room. A couple of the items are taking forever to germinate. The 'grass' is 'Quaking Grass', much like the Northern Sea Oats. I love hearing them in the wind. I plan on lining the edge of my pathway with grasses. Of course, this means I also have to actually put in the pathway!




So...

I decided to try my hand at growing different melons and pumpkins this year. Since my fencing will be hog wire, I figured I could plant them along the fence and allow them to grow up rather than spread along the ground. However, I haven't put up the fence yet. Are you seeing a trend here?




This contains my lima beans and a new-to-me green bean. I have failed with lima beans in the past (I think I plant them out before the soil is warm enough.) And the green bean is recommended for container growing. 

I have decided to grow both of them in containers. Just an experiment on my part. I have a few larger containers, so why not try and see if I can get an earlier harvest. 




And this is my mainly nasturtium tray. The Hyacinth Bean are also in there and doing fine. But my Snail Vine and Butterfly Pea haven't germinated yet, much to my disappointment. But I am still hopeful. 

So for now, it is all about getting the mowing done and the fencing up. Repotting seedlings into later containers. I will keep them on the porch on the table and not plant anything out in the near future. Once Mother Nature takes pity on me, I should be in a reasonable place to start putting things in the ground. 


Comments

Popular Posts