I have several yards of some of the fabrics in the Nested Owls series and decided to use it up for this small quilt. Since I didn't have any actual background fabric (and no money to go buy any), I decided to use the muslin I have on hand. The blocks will finish out as 12 inch blocks and there will be 24 in the quilt we are doing over the next year.
The purpose of the QAL is to do a variety of half square triangle blocks and perfect our technique. I have issues with points!
This is the first block we have done, Candy. I am pleased with how it turned out. Unfortunately, it is a tad over the 12.5 it needed to be. I was worried about it being too small that I did a scant 1/4 inch seam and it make it just a smidgen over. Points may be an issue in the final sew-up. Will have to see. But the muslin looks good with it (in my opinion), so Block 1 and I'm happy. I had thought about doing 2 blocks, but realizing I have several other BIG quilts in the works, I opted for a large lap/twin size.
While I was digging around in my stash, pulling all my owls fabric, I decided to do another Twinkle Star for the RSC16 Sampler. When making my initial 6 blocks, afterwards I thought about what if I swapped out the light/dark areas? What would it look like?
I used the same dark blue I had used as the center block on my original blocks and then went light with the rest. I came across this piece of butterfly fabric I had and decided to use it for my center block.
So the original block beside my inverted block. Totally different look.
So my original idea was to see what, over the rest of the QAL, alternate blocks I might come up with and make a lap quilt from them. But the more I stare at the darker block, the more I think I am going to make a mini-quilt out of it. I have been wanting to make a mini since I have so many huge projects in the works and I think this might be a fun first attempt. Easy to quilt it and I think I have a piece of fabric I want to use as the backing and binding for it. Will have to see....after my nap!