Week in Review - August 4 - 11

I didn't attend the Miss Babs Yarn Trunk show at a LYS this past Saturday. I figured it would be crowded and I had no dollars to spend and I have a TON of yarn waiting to be used. But still is was Miss Babs. 

Instead, under the strict supervision of my 'boss', while Lady K is with her other grandparents this weekend, I spent most of Saturday in the kitchen.



Here Creme is perched on the back of my office chair. She moved under the desk, by my feet, since I apparently move the chair around too much for her liking. She is definitely MY cat. If I go to another room I have a shadow. Cookie, her sister, is usually somewhere nearby if she hasn't gotten locked in a closet.

Back to Saturday...

I made White Chocolate with Candied Cherries Ice Cream from David Lebovitz's book, The Perfect Scoop.  Please feel free to buy me a copy for my upcoming birthday. I adore this book!

The ice cream is sssssooooo rich you can basically eat one spoonful and get that feeling in your mouth of the 'fat' which satisfies the sweet tooth. I thought it was just me, but I took some over to Savvy and she tested it for me and agreed. This will definitely be something to savor and not gulp down. In fact, I will probably put a couple of large spoonfuls in a cup with a touch of milk to make a milkshake to cut the richness. 

And since I had a ton of egg whites left over, I attempted to make meringues. Unfortunately, I ignored the first rule of meringues...humidity! Since it was overcast and attempting to rain, it was very humid. I did make some which I am calling my 'tan tits'. Tan, because of the vanilla I added and tits because that's what they look like.

I also made Farmhouse Buttermilk Cake from King Arthur Flour. Once again, I didn't follow the recipe exactly and instead of cooking in a 9 x 13 pan and adding the topping, I cooked in a bundt pan. It turned out very dense and moist and I didn't add the topping. That keeps it from being overly sweet and I can add a touch of the ice cream with a slice and it's not overpoweringly sweet. 

But to crawl out of the sugar jar, I made a stuffed chicken breast with a marsala-ish sauce. The chicken was stuffed with mozzarella and parmesan cheese with shitake mushrooms in the sauce. I had it over rice. Actually, I had only half the chicken since it was a large breast.

Otherwise this week...

  • Finished the top of the Joy quilt
  • Basted the Disney Villains quilt
  • Purchased a couple of patterns for Lady K some dresses
  • Wrote 4 posts
  • Finished 5 books, one of which is part of the Wheel of Time series. Only 5 more books to go which will be about 150 hours of audio. A long way to go.
  • Devoured Serpentine, Laurell K. Hamilton's latest
  • Cleaned up my desk and sewing area

This coming week will be a bit busy...

  • Open House for Lady K on Friday to learn about being a kindergartener
  • Decide on how I am going to quilt the Villains quilt
  • Make Lady K a dress or two
  • Finish up the Watergarden outer ring
  • Pull out the Mariner's Compass quilt and see where I am on it
  • Work on the Randolph line of my family tree so I can see exactly where it intersects with Thomas Jefferson's family. Personally, I would love it if it actually derived from the Hemmings side, but I don't that's not happening.

But for now, definitely more coffee!

Comments

Popular Posts