Positive Focus Thursday - Does An Alpaca Make You a Good Grandmother?

Well, according to one gentleman at the Carolina Alpaca Festival last Sunday, it did.

Actually, it was the fact I brought my granddaughter to the festival which made me a good grandmother. When I told him I knitted and crocheted, he said it made much more sense then! She was just along for the ride.




To be honest, I hadn't planned on taking Lady K. She was scheduled to be with her father this past weekend. But due to a change in plans, on a cool and rainy Sunday we both headed out to Concord, North Carolina for this event.

Upon entering the building, Lady K wasn't really impressed. In fact, the smell of several dozen animals in an enclosed space does get a bit 'heady'. However, I'm enough of a 'farm girl' and actually don't mind the smell. Go figure!

My first impression was...

They're tiny!

I was thinking llama size. Not Great Dane with a long neck!

My second thought was...

Why don't I have a spinning wheel so I can spin some soft, cushy yarn! 

The NEED for a spinning wheel just got ramped up. I would love a fleece from one of these babies.


They come in all colors from beige/white to black. And there are two types of coat type of alpacas too.


Lady K was more interested in 'reading' the ribbons hanging on the cages. Her teacher would be proud of her as she walked through all the stalls, reading first, second, third...



All in all, while I so wanted one, or at least their hair, Lady K was more interested in this...


Meet 'Rosie' the alpaca teddy bear. I can't fault her for wanting it because it is so soft! She did inform me they dyed the bear because there aren't any pink alpacas. Smart girl!

And while waiting for the results of the silent auction (I got two pair of hiking socks - one of which was snatched by Texter), Lady K took it easy.


It was a fun morning and left me pining for a spinning wheel and wanting to knit with some alpaca yarn. I did resist and didn't buy any at the festival. There wasn't really all that much yarn and nothing spoke to me. 

So next on the list? The zoo, the beach, strawberry picking...






Comments

Popular Posts