Tuesday Sundries - Going 'Green'

No, not that kind of 'going green', although I do try. Somewhat. Maybe.

But this kind of green...



As in plants.

Spring fever hit a couple of weeks ago, forcing me into plopping some potatoes into a large container and a couple of 5-gallon buckets. I have more potatoes 'chitting' (starting their sprouts) in the kitchen and will drop them into buckets after the rain passes this week.

But...


I pulled out my seed stash, which included seeds from hollyhocks grown by friends in Montana. I'll see how they do here. I hope the humidity and heat doesn't do them in. 

So far, based on what I have in my stash, I have planted...

  • 4 colors of hollyhocks
  • Echinecea 
  • Several different types of lettuce
  • Lemon cucumber
  • Lavender
  • Catnip
  • Zinnia
  • Calendula
  • Cleome
  • Cilantro
  • Tomatoes - Oregon Spring, Black Krim, Brandywine Red, Sweet 100
  • Lemon basil
  • Broccoli 
  • Mountaineer Squash
  • Morning glory
  • Pumpkin - Sugar Pie and Jack o' Lantern
  • Dill
  • Parsley
  • Basil
  • Hyacinth Bean
  • Nasturtium

At Lowe's, I picked up off their clearance table, a mushroom kit (I've been wanting to try it for years), a set of jars to grow basil and mint (and one for Savvy and a neighbor), and a large jar with a self-waterer for a cherry tomato.


For $3 each, I couldn't resist picking up these 'kits'. 

I also picked up a huge diffenbachia for $5. Unfortunately, I now need 4 large pots to repot the lemon tree, the 2 fiddle leaf figs and the diffenbachia when weather warms up a bit.

I removed the amaryllis from the 3 glass 'pots' and have planted oregano, thyme and garlic chives in them.


I want to have herbs in the kitchen to use. 

Herbs I have planted so far will be shared with Savvy. I want to make her an outdoor container garden for her to use. 


The fiddle leaf figs are putting out new growth, but they need repotting soon. 

AND, while cleaning up the bonus room and the shelf unit where I am putting the seeds I am starting, I found the 'lost' plumeria cutting! Hopefully, I can get it to grow. It seems fine and you are suppose to allow them to heal over the cut. I stuck it in a jar of water with a couple of diffenbachia stems which broke off.

Right now I need another shopping trip to Dollar Tree for a couple more lamps and some pots. The larger the better! I also need to invest in an automatic drill so I can drill holes in buckets for drainage.

But...

I am awaiting 5 sets of seed orders!

The first set is for 'seeds' for Cat Face Orchid and Monkey Face Orchids. They are coming from overseas. I have never grown orchids from seed before, so I will have to see how it goes. These will be a years-long project.

Another 'fun' plant I ordered seed for was Balloon Milkweed from Sow True Seeds. I love the huge, green, hairy 'balls' they produce. Since the packet holds 80 seeds and I don't need 80 plants, some will be going to Montana. I'll probably try about half a dozen plants this year.

Then I have seeds coming from Park Seeds, Botantical Interests and Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds. That shopping list consists of the following:


  • Cucumber - Pick a Bushel and Sour Gherkin - both suppose to do well in containers
  • Queen Red Lime Zinnia
  • Green Twister Echinacea
  • Snap Peas - Patio Pride and Little SnapPea Crunch
  • Seychelles Bean (pole bean)
  • Tomatoes - Heirloom Blend (4 different kinds), Red Robin, San Marzano Paste, Great White, Beefsteak, Barred Boar, Big Rainbow, Atomic Grape Crazy Cherry, Sungold
  • Tomatillo Verde (Savvy loves salsa verde)
  • Lemon Bee Balm
  • And two 'free' seeds - unknown
  • Peppers - 1 hot 'collection' and 4 sweet peppers

The tomatoes I will only start maybe 3 of each and hope 1 survives. Except for the Red Robin and I will probably do about a dozen of those and hand out to kids.

Besides pots and potting soil (and probably another couple of seed starting planters) I want some fresh ginger to grow some in pots over the summer. I will probably pick up some ginger at the store and plant in containers outside also. 

I have decided I will be lining up pots along the side of the house which is basically south facing. Things there should get sun almost all day long. I will string up a net for the pole beans along the end of the front porch. This will give a nice 'screen' to allow some privacy for when I sit on the porch.  

On the other side of the front of the house, I will set pots in the little garden area. Hyacinth beans will go up another pole there. The soil is nothing but clay here and since I am renting I have no desire to invest in their soil. But containers will do nicely. 

I will also take a page from NC Tomato Man's book and line up containers on the edge of the driveway. As it faces south/west, I will get plenty of sun (and heat) for the tomatoes and peppers. 

So for now, I will try and survive a week of grey skies and rain, staring at flats of seeds, awaiting them to poke their heads above the soil.




Comments

Popular Posts