Seedy Saturday - Giving My Garden A B+

Standing on the front porch the other morning with my first cup of coffee and looking over my front yard and feeling really down.

My yard is one hot mess. 

There are black trays and cell packs still sitting in the front yard. The front yard which needs mowing. And we won't talk about the weeding which needs to be done in both the front and back yard. Things still to get into the ground. 

Yep. Pretty bummed out.

I was failing. 

In the quiet of early morning I started noticing there was quite a bit of bird song. In searching out the source of the songs, as the sun rose, there was a lot of 'motion' around the flowers. All the yarrow, dahlias, rudbeckia, and thyme had dozens of bees buzzing around. The wildflower patch on the far side of the herb beds were also being visited by bees.

Then I started thinking (something I try not to do often).

In the veggie garden I had worries earlier in the growing season my squash were not getting pollinated. Now when I walk out into the garden I can hear the bees doing their job around my squash and beans. 




I starting thinking about how in spring, both of the bird houses in the front yard had raised a brood of bluebirds and sparrows. Now, one of them, I think, has a goldfinch in it. Or at least one is hanging out in my front yard. 




Turning on the sprinkler (since all the rain seems to pass me by), I realized I wasn't failing in my garden. 

Yes, there are still a lot of chores and my to-do list is HUGE. But as time goes by, the things needing to be done will decrease. It won't always be like this. 

But I have achieved one of my most important goals with my garden. I have pollinators and birds visiting my garden all the time. 

I'm giving my yard a B+ - for bees and birds!







Comments

Popular Posts