Admission and Acceptance

I think one of the hardest things anyone who is 'creative' can do is to actually stand up and say "I am an artist" or "I am a writer", out loud and for the world to hear.  A few years ago, I literally did that - stood up and acknowledged I am an artist.  



This admission came under fire recently and I had to step up and really put my money where my mouth is.  A lady had come into the library a few weeks ago and was checking out 2-3 books on Photoshop.  We got to talking and I told her I knew Photoshop and if she had any questions, I would be glad to help if I could.  I gave her my website and we parted ways.

The two weeks ago I got a phone call at the library.  It was this same lady who wanted me to tutor her in Photoshop basics.  It seems she is an artist who had entered a show and needed to do some things in Photoshop for this show.  She had an additional issues in that she could only spend about one hour a day in front of the computer due to eye issues.  She wanted my help and would pay me for tutoring her.

I was extremely flattered and all puffed up as I hung up the phone and then my 'inner critic' paid a call too.  Who was I to think I knew anything about Photoshop and especially to get paid to pass on that lack of knowledge?  But I went anyway and much to my surprise and delight, I did know at least the basics and could answer her questions!

Next week with be three lessons in Photoshop I will have tutored.  Next week also starts school again and a couple of the books for my graphic arts classes are looking so yummy!  I can't wait to play again and learn some more techniques.

This experience puts me one step closer (I think) to actually looking at putting my artwork out into the world.  Maybe...

Comments

Popular Posts