My Head Is In The Clouds

Montana is known as the "Big Sky Country" and for the past year and a half I have been marveling on a daily basis, the cloud formations which occur.  With this new apartment and my little balcony, I find myself unwinding (when I can) just watching the sun go down in the evenings.  And sunrises, while walking the dog in the mornings.








Watching the clouds settle on the mountain tops so that you don't know where the snow covered ground stops and the clouds begin is fascinating.  Like the first picture shows, one minute you might have sunny skies and the next, is this grey mass rolling across toward you.  I grew up in Texas where you would get the 'blue Northers' and there would be this solid line of clouds coming toward you - generally with a 20-30 degree drop in temperature.  But here, it's nothing like that at all.

And the wind.  Texas, you ain't got nothing on the wind around here.  A breeze in Montana runs about 15 mph and that's just a gentle breeze.  Laying in bed, listening to the wind, it's easy to imagine what early settlers must have thought, out here all alone, listening to that same wind.  It reminds me of the song from the musical, "Paint Your Wagon" - "They Call the Wind Maria".  If you can listen to this song and not get chills, you are a better person than I am.



So I will go back and sit and watch the sunset yet another day and marvel and the ever changing vista overhead.

Comments

Popular Posts