Seedy Saturday - What a Difference a Month Makes!

Last Wednesday, on my day off, I hustled to get a few gardening chores done. I need to get some tomato plants in containers. (I still have some peppers and beans to plant). I also needed to do a bit of rearranging of containers.

On April 5, this is what my 'garden' looked like...




My grape vine had a couple of small, potential, grape clusters.



Three weeks later, this is what the garden looks like...



The marigolds are all plump and full. I really like this variety. I just want to sink my fingers into them, they look so cushy. 

All these tomatoes have blooms on them. In fact, one of the cherry tomato plants has baby tomatoes.


The grape clusters have gotten bigger and I am keeping my fingers crossed I will at least get one cluster of grapes off my vine this year.



I moved my 'tropical' plants down to one end of the yard.  Then I used large tubs to plant more tomatoes.



And before I get any comments about the size of the tubs and the number of tomatoes in them, it works for me. Since I am basically the only tomato eater in the family, what I produce is just enough. Plus this year I am 'pruning' my tomatoes so I have only the one main stalk. I happened to find a Mortgage Lifter and a Goliath tomato this year, so I am hoping for a couple of nice, big tomatoes.

Between the tubs, I have put some of my pots of mint and herbs. Right now my herbs are going crazy. I am going to have to start selling them on the corner at this rate. 


My Montana peony has started growing much to my surprise. I thought I had lost it in all the move. The lilies not only overwintered, but are springing up like crazy. The petunias, lavender and mint I planted are starting to overflow. The lemon tree is blooming (but not enough blooms for my liking.)

I did my gardening Wednesday while the storm clouds were gathering all day. It was windy and humid. However, the side yard was calm. Which got me to thinking about an enclosed garden. When I get my own house, I am really going to look into having an enclosed kitchen garden. Someplace where it is sheltered and I can grow all year.

Of course, I may change my mind some July and August and dying for even the tiniest of breezes. I would really love to have espalier fruit trees. 

But for now I am happy with what I have going on in my little side yard. I do have to get a couple more bags of soil to plant some more peppers. And a tub of pole beans. Plus, I plan on going to see my 'tomato man' and pick up some seedlings in the next week or two and will need more containers.

But for now I am excited about how things are progressing and can't wait to see what the garden looks like in another month. 




Comments

Popular Posts