This was the view Tuesday morning as Texter and I stood in line to get into the store to pick up the guest of honor for our Thanksgiving meal. This will be the third year in a row I have gone 'organic and fresh' for the turkey. Part of me cringes at the price tag, but the other part, the part which loves chowing down on a turkey leg, really loves the flavor of these turkeys. So I guess I have to say I am thankful for...
- Organic Turkeys
- The money to buy one
Then Texter, who has been diagnosed with low iron levels, requested a Chess Pie. And I had all the things available to make one for her last night.
- Full pantry
- Access to medical care
- My own health is pretty good for someone coming up on the big 60
I am also cruising right along on my NaNoWriMo novel, just over 40,000 words so far and blessed with...
- Computer to type on
- Time to write
- Encouragement from family and friends on my endeavor
- Desk area to write from, complete with plants, lamp and room for my coffee
As I look around the room, in the quiet of the early morning, other things to be thankful for occur to me...
- Family and friends which I love and love me in return (despite my quirks)
- A grand daughter, curled up in my bed, all warm and cuddly
- Pets, despite their snoring and farting
- Books (and way too many to be reading!)
- A chance to do programs on topics I want to do in 2017
This year has not always been easy. And it doesn't look like the coming year(s) will be easy either, at least on a political front.
I recently lost someone I had worked with for years to cancer. Which is doubly sad because he wasn't much older than me and had retired at the same time. He didn't have a chance to really enjoy his retirement and the extra time with his family. And a nephew by marriage just passed, far too young.
So I guess what I am trying to say is, don't take anything for granted, which is so easy to do. We get caught up in our day-to-day lives and the drama around us and fail to appreciate what we really have.
Stop. Wear that funny hat at work. Dye your hair whatever color you want. Be outrageous. It makes people smile. And we could all use a few more smiles in our lives.