Saturday Reads - Or I Can't Concentrate

I am having a hard time 'concentrating' on the books beside my beside. 

I know it's all my fault. Well, maybe not fault, but I understand I am preoccupied with the move and all that needs to be done and ends to be tied up before I can start the drive back. 

And then it's the unloading, arranging and rearranging and getting settled into the new house. 

So the fault is probably not in the books I've selected recently, but more than likely my own mood.

Anyway, here are some of the books I checked out and then stopped reading a couple of chapters into them.

Ok, I lied a bit. There is one book I am returning to the library posthaste, otherwise, I will keep it!


A quick, fun book with tons of quilt ideas for using up scraps (and boy, do I have some). I want this book! 

Ok, I caved and bought it on Kindle!

The next one I thought I would be over the moon about. It's a good read and one I can relate too, but just not feeling all the love I thought I would.


If you are a 'maker' of just about anything, not just knitting, The Curse of the Boyfriend Sweater will have you chuckling and nodding in agreement. 

Two books I started and then just tossed aside. Once again, it's not the books (hopefully), but it's all about me and the state of mind I am in.

Gods, Monsters and the Lucky Peach by Kelly Robson I was finding a bit 'weird' for me. Set in the future, the humans aren't exactly all 'human'.


And the other, Quietus by Tristan Palmgren has an alien visitor researching the Black Plague. 


I have marked them 'abandoned' on my Goodreads list, so I might go back and try again at a later date with these two books.

But the one which upset me for tossing down is Paris by the Book by Liam Callanan.

I love Paris and I love books set in bookstores, so I had high expectations about really loving the book. 


But...


Background. 

When I was in North Carolina before and going to college, I took, as one of my online classes, a film class. This class first pointed out to me, that while I might be intelligent (that's up for debate), I am not an 'intellectual'. 

I watch movies to be entertained and not to puzzle out the hidden meanings behind what colors are used, what music is used, how the lighting is used, all of those tricks of the trade. I just want to sit back with my popcorn and be entertained. However, in this class, we had to learn about all those tricks. And like them.

The problem was, as I was watching and hating every minute of the movie(s), Savvy was laughing as the teacher was also her English teacher and she would go in and spill the beans about my 'love' for the films assigned. 'The Red Balloon' was one.

It became a running joke between the instructor and I as we were both females of a certain age. I even took the second part of the class, even though I had to go on campus one night a week. She even gave Savvy a pass so she could take the class without taking the first part of the class.

So I have a mental block when it comes to art films and 'The Red Balloon'. 

Unfortunately, near the front of the book, there are several pages where this movie is discussed with the main character and her husband. And down onto the floor it went!

Sorry, books!

I am going to wade through the books still beside my bed and then stop getting books from the library. I am going to use books I have by the hundreds on my Kindle....

At least until I get to North Carolina and get my new library card!








Comments

Popular Posts