Fabric & Fiber Friday - Becomes...

FOODIE FRIDAY!

If you look back at my post last Wednesday, you will see, at least for the time being, plans have changed. My focus is going to be narrowed down somewhat to concentrate on finances. With a dash of gardening and food thrown in. After all, a person does still have to eat.

So my Fabric & Fiber Friday posts will now be Foodie Friday.

I will be trying new recipes with the bounty from my garden (fingers crossed). Sharing my trips to the Farmer’s Market.

My hope is this will serve two purposes - one, to make me try new things and two, to utilize the food which comes into my home better.

My first canning of the year was to use up the last of some local strawberries I had purchased at Farmer’s Market, along with some blueberries. Five cups of chopped berries became almost 5 pints of Strawberry/Blueberry jam. I used my trusty Sure-Jel recipe flyer and ‘punted’.

The berries together turned a rich, deep magenta in color, much darker than just strawberry jam would be. And the taste!


(Note: Texter has already gone through half a jar of the jam and informed me I need to make more.)

Let’s just say it’s very hard to eat a slice of hot, buttered toast smeared with this jam while rolling on the floor in ecstasy. Thus, I had to have two slices!

Next on my list, since blueberries are coming into season here in North Carolina is to make some Lavender Blueberry Jam. I was told about this by one of the Food Lion managers I met over the past couple of weeks and I can’t wait to give it a try. Of course, that means a trip to the Savory Spice Shop for lavender buds. And a couple of vanilla beans. And…







Of course, my 'bounty' depends on my now-running battle with the HOA 'police' who feels tomatoes, wooden stakes and a chicken wire trellis for pole beans doesn't belong in the front yard. There is nothing in the by-laws which state I can't have these, it just tells me to mow the grass and trim hedges (of which I have none). Considering my neighbors are now up-in-arms on my behalf it's going to be an interesting summer.

Comments

Popular Posts