Tuesday Sundries - Strawberries!

I grew up with grandparents who had a huge garden, complete with a grape arbor, berry bushes and fruit trees. I learned from day one where food came from and how it actually grew. It's something I tried to show Savvy and Texter, not only growing things where we lived, but also going to you-pick-it farms and the Farmer's Market.


After seeing a post on Facebook for 'buy one, get one 50% off' I decided it was something I wanted to do. With Lady K with me this past weekend, it was the perfect time to go and check out Bush N Vine Farm.

Saturday dawned overcast and pleasantly cool, perfect for being in a field picking strawberries. 

The drive is a little under an hour from home, mainly on the interstate before turning off onto secondary roads. A nice drive and right by Kings Mountain State Park. Since I know I will be returning, I will plan on a picnic at the park one time.

Arriving at the farm, there is a nice parking area before the store where they sell vegetables, raw milk, local honey and a few other items. But more on that in a bit.








The 'berry patch' was well maintained and clean, making for great berry picking. My 'soul' was screaming I needed to pick it ALL! But given the size of the field and the amount of ripe berries, we are talking about several hundred gallon buckets of berries.

By the way, they do have restrooms. Two of them, large and clean and on the back porch of the store. Right by picnic tables and the play area for kids. They have two large swing sets, a sand box and a 'house' to play in. It makes a great place to take kids and have them entertained by more than picking strawberries. 





There is also a 'slide' by the fig trees. Now I know where I can get some fresh figs this summer!

A one mile trail through the farm is really nice. Of course, if you are squeamish about ticks and bugs, give it a pass. 

Starting at the play area, it winds through various terrain on the farm.


The trail is marked with arrows to keep you going in the right direction. Oh, and if you don't want a dirty child (to me a mark of having fun), don't go. 

Lady K trotted ahead of me the entire time, looking for the arrows and telling me which way to go. 

The trail starts out on a gravel 'road', past the purple martin bird houses.




I grew up with both my grandfather and my dad having the traditional white 'houses' for purple martins. There is nothing like watching them fly and swoop for mosquitoes and other bugs.


You head through a section of woods and then turn and head over a creek.


Of course, it is a requirement to poke your 'hiking stick' into the creek. 

After leaving the woods, you head into fields. They keep a large path mowed for the trail and have small information boards at various points along the trail, informing you about what you are seeing. It's a really nice little trail.



Past blackberries...


Past tunnel houses where they grow more delicate items, like raspberries. There was also a notice about field peas! I can't wait for field peas.

The trail leads back to a dirt road which takes you past a small lake, past the blueberries and back to the store. Of course, once you do the hike it is necessary to get some ice cream.


I had a 'blendie', which is a combination of a slushie made with their strawberries 'blended' with their strawberry ice cream. OMG! To die for! 

Lady K polished off the large waffle cone of homemade ice cream (vanilla) only to advise me next time she wanted a small one, it was too much for her to eat!

After a couple of hours of berry picking, swinging and hiking, topped off with ice cream, someone dozed on the way home.


To me, that's the sign of a successful outing, when they are so tired out from exploring and experiencing they crash and burn on the way home. 

Bush N Vine Farm is definitely a WE-WILL-RETURN! Blueberries are next, peaches, pumpkins and then fall strawberries! If I plan right, Texter and Savvy can come one time hopefully. But I'm not sharing my blendie!





Comments

Popular Posts