Seedy Saturday - The Garden Is In (sort of)

This Saturday morning dawned a bit cloudy and just perfect for starting the day on the front porch with my cup of coffee, listening to birds. Lots of birds! I think I hear more birds here than I did outside in Montana. Of course, keeping the bird feeder full and having a small water bowl out for them does seem to help.




Everything is starting to grab hold and getting some growth on it. The past week has been warm, in the 80's, during the day. Most of the tomatoes are starting to get taller and is one of my tasks this weekend is to add more twine and start tying them up a bit. 

Being the 'planner' than I am, I want to make a map of what tomatoes are where too. So another task while stringing up twine. 



My Sugar Snap Peas, the larger ones, are finally putting on blooms. Hopefully, I can get a few before it gets too hot.

The little container Sugar Snap Peas, while cute, just didn't cut it. I did get some peas off of them. But a lot didn't germinate. I might try them again in the fall to see about a late crop. But they are going to be uprooted and replaced by some cayenne peppers this weekend.


Another weekend project will be setting up some chicken wire for my pole beans (top of the picture). My lima beans are also starting to come up. I can't wait and see what is going to happen with the pole beans. I've always grown bush beans. I think since I have more pole bean seeds, I am going to sow a row on the side of the house by the garage.


The 'pepper pots' are doing well. I like what I am seeing with pinching out the tip of the peppers early on. They are definitely much fuller than they normally are for me. Now to see how many they produce throughout the summer. 




My cucumbers are getting taller and lusher. And tiny cucumbers are forming. Can pickling be far behind?

The cucumber I am really holding my breath over is the Mexican Sour Gherkin. The vines are very fragile looking and are starting to put out tiny, tiny 'cucamelons'.


The fruits are supposed to be small, so the size really doesn't surprise me. But it looks so cute!

Several things are really putting on growth...


my grapevine...


the Asiatic Lilies are starting to come up...


the hand of ginger I planted is starting up sprout...


and "Michael" Meyer has put on a ton of leaves and blooms! Lots of little lemons in my future.

The flat of seeds I planted last weekend is starting to come up, a lot earlier than I expected for some of them since most are supposed to take 14 or more days to germinate.


Dill, hyssop, anise and blanket flower are popping their little heads out of the soil. Luckily, being in individual pots I can easily remove them and set them outside in a few days on the porch before putting in pots. I need another trip to Dollar Tree for pots!

A trip this morning to pick strawberries ended with a trip to Oakdale Greenhouses. A Hummingbird Vine, 2 pots of Moonstruck Petunias, some cayenne peppers, Brandywine tomatoes (to fill in gaps) and a Carolina Reaper Pepper

Why I bought a Carolina Reaper Pepper is beyond me, but I did. 

Anyway, computer work for the rest of the day and then Sunday in the yard! I need to set up a trellis for the pole beans, tie up tomatoes, harvest lettuce and mow the yard. 




Comments

Popular Posts