Positive Focus Thursday - FINALLY Facing My Fears

I am an ostrich when it comes to finances. For decades I shoved my head in the sand, thinking if I didn't think about my dismal financial status, it would all go away. 

It doesn't.

But, finally facing my fears and working on them is actually not so bad. 

Well, they are not exactly dismal any more and my head is out of the sand.

Today, being off and the day before pay-day (plus it's a rainy, drizzly day) I worked on my budget for November.


First, I made sure I had the pages I wanted for my November budget. I am loving the paycheck-by-paycheck budgeting method. It is working so well for me, especially since it makes me review my budget at least 3 times a month. I also started drawing up my December pages since I have already made some 'payments' for December. 

Actually, due to various surveys I have participated in over the past couple of months, I have almost $200 on my Amazon gift card account. They are allocated to Lady K's Christmas. This way, Texter and I basically have her Christmas covered, all Texter has to do is order what she wants. And since it was 'extra' income from basically giving my opinion, it doesn't affect any of my 'real' money.

Anyway...

After I made sure I had the sheets I needed, I added in a couple of things which have popped up I need to take care of in November. I added them to my 'pay' pages. 

I also have a sheet where I am listing the money I earn from other sources, like my survey taking. Right now I have one marketing research thing I'm doing (detergent) and there are 3 more coming up I know about for November. 

As an aside, we are fortunate enough to have a marketing research company in the mall. And another HUGE plus, it's in the wing we enter for Savvy to go to work. So we are always going by there. Over the past year or so we have become friends with them and check in with them often, so we probably make a bit more than most would. They have us on speed-dial because they can count on us to come in and make up the numbers they need. 

But...

I have to say, over the past couple of years as I have slowly working on being less of an ostrich and more proactive with my finances I have noticed a few things...

  • It's fun to watch my credit score go up 
  • I am sleeping better
  • Fewer calls from creditors
  • Watching my little company matched 401(k) is amazing
  • More deliberate about what I buy

While I am far from being 'perfect' with my money, I have learned I am not the only person who has and is experiencing these issues. I watch some brave YouTubers who have put it all on the line in talking about their similar financial journey. It motivates me to stay on track myself and beat myself up less about how I handle money as my habits evolve into new and better ones.

But for now, everything is set for bill paying tomorrow. Now it's time for NaNoWriMo prep and play!

Comments

Popular Posts