Positive Focus Thursday

Sitting here early Thursday morning with the news on. While for decades I watched the news every morning while getting ready for work, over the past few years I haven't. Mainly because I was so tired of all the 'bad' news.

However, the past week, Texter and I have kept our eyes on the news due to Florence. Hurricane Florence to be specific. I have made it through Hurricanes Fran and Floyd in the past - not liking 'F' hurricanes!

And during our preparation this week, several small things have come to my attention.

First, we are blessed with a house which is on high ground, money to buy extra supplies, and neighbors who are all chipping in to make this less threatening.

Second, I received a package I 'won' in the mail.


This is only half the pile of stickers for my planner I received. Texter has the other half! But someone was cleaning out her stash and realized she didn't need these anymore and passed them on via a drawing on one of the groups I belong to on Facebook. 

And another good thing which has come from Facebook is the community you can form. One of my needlework groups has been checking in with me since I told them I would be taking a break from possibly selling some fibers due to the hurricane. The wishes for a safe passage through the storm have been lovely.

Third, is the kindness of strangers.


I have been stocking up on books and went into the library to pick up a couple I had on hold. One of the items was a recently released DVD of Book Club. The library 'rents' new releases for $2. I had run in without any change and I didn't want to put $2 on my debit card and was going to let the library release me from my hold and reserved it again later. A woman standing behind me handed over $2, saying "go ahead". As I hesitated, she explained she had been to 4 funerals in the past 4 days and needed some joy in her life and this would make her happy. 

I'll be watching the movie today.

My fourth reason for keeping a 'chin-up' about Florence is the little one. Texter and Lady K have been studying hurricanes for the past couple of days. Lady K doesn't like thunder and while thunder won't really be an issue, the high winds and heavy rain can be scary. Schools are closed for the next couple of days. Texter is off work today and has alerted work if the rains are too heavy, she won't be coming in. Personally, I am thankful we now have a garage so if I do have to drive her to work, we can get in and out of the car in a garage, staying dry.

And finally, in search of supplies to make it through several days of heavy rain, I found something new to me - Blackberry Ginger Ale!


I don't normally drink soda, but love ginger ale. I will spoil myself occasionally and get some really since ginger ale or ginger beer, but I had to try this. Light, refreshing with just a hint of 'another' flavor in there. 

Personally, I think if things get bad, a bit of 'gin' in my ginger ale would work nicely. 

Comments

  1. Stay safe! The strength and track keeps changing but regardless you and I will both get rain and some wind. Of course you know all the "rules" since you have been through several before . That ginger ale looks wonderful. I may have to look for some !

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for commenting. It means a lot.

Popular Posts