Food and Fun Friday - Peaches!

Wednesday, when I stopped to pick up my CSA box, I walked into their store and saw these...


May 12 and there are South Carolina peaches!

Needless to say, these came home with me.

They are small and a bit hard/green despite the rich color. However, they were more than enough to make this...


This is a small Fiesta Ware bowl and is perfect for a small cobbler. It holds enough for 3-4 servings of cobbler. And with self-rising flour on hand, I whipped up my cobbler recipe (see below) in a few minutes and let it cook while I had dinner.


In under an hour I was pulling this beauty out of the oven. 

I did restrain myself and didn't eat it while soaking in a nice, hot bubble bath. I had worked Wednesday for 4 hours and it was damp and cool all day. More like February than mid-May. 

After my bath, I sat down to a bowl of cobbler and some vanilla frozen yogurt.


If there wasn't a shortage of gas here in North Carolina due to recent 'events', I would have probably taken a cobbler to Texter for her birthday on Thursday. But alas, I only have half a tank of gas and need to go to work this weekend and not sure when supplies will be available again. She didn't curse me too terribly much.

I also 'teased' my to-go manager with pictures of the cobbler. Yes, I can be very, very mean when I want to be!

So peach season has started! 

Now to make that batch of strawberry jam.



Easy Peach Cobbler Recipe

1 cup self-rising flour
1 cup milk
1 cup sugar
1 stick butter
1 large can sliced peaches*

Cut the butter into pats and place half in the bottom of an 8x8 pan.
Mix together flour, milk and sugar.
Pour the can of peaches into the pan and pour batter over the peaches. Top with the rest of the butter and a sprinkle of sugar (if desired)

Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.


Note: I will use just about any fresh fruit. Baking it in the oven generates enough juice from the fruit to make it a juicy cobbler. I will also cut the recipe down to match the size of the pan I want to use. Since I generally make a small container of it, I will half or even use only a third of the recipe to create the cobbler. 








Comments

Popular Posts