Seedy Saturday - Growing and Getting Hot!

I'm not looking forward to the coming week with temperatures forecast to be in the 90's with little, if any, chance of rain. Which means daily watering.

However, the garden is actually looking pretty good and the birds, a few, have discovered the bird feeder. I need to get a bird bath for them, especially in this hot weather.

These are the two 4x4 beds and their progress...























And the cucumbers, peas and beans are coming along nicely. I do need to plant a few 'skips' in the peas though.





The tomatoes are going gang busters! I have flowering on the first 24 I planted and several of the second round of seedlings are starting to flower. On the original group, I already have a couple of 'baby' tomatoes!


There are a few other things blooming along in the garden. My pitcher plants are both flowering. For one, this is the first year. The other one bloomed for me last year too.



My nasturtiums have started blooming. My issue with them is I can't ever figure out how to save seed from them. Their seeds are huge, so they should be evident, but maybe this year I can figure it out.


I have also always thought growing sweet peas wasn't possible in North Carolina because we get hot too soon. However, I decided to give them a try with winter sowing.


I have them in a bucket and they seem to be going well. I have them growing up the front porch railing (hopefully). Since it's east-facing, they get morning sun, and hopefully will survive the hot weather the next few days. I have clipped a few to bring inside and I love the scent.

But not everything I've planted is in my yard.


I planted these amaryllis last year in Savvy's front yard. This is the second year they have bloomed, having made it through the winter with flying colors. There are a few more on the other side of the tree, so they are making a lovely display in her yard.

My main frenzy of planting and pseudo-landscaping is done and now it's time to settle in and start making the flower beds around the front of the house. Well, maybe just one big bed this summer - for now.






















Comments

Popular Posts