Seedy Saturday - Let the Planting Begin!

Ok...

So the past two days I have been bringing plants and 'garden stuff' from my old house to the new house. The only thing left at the old house is a large container with banana trees in it and a tub with 'compost' stuff. Those will have to wait a few more days until Savvy is off to help me load into the car.

Anyway...


While unpacking boxes in the house, I came across this book. A book which started my walk down the 'heirloom' side of veggie gardening. It was published in 1999 and, if I remember correctly, I had met Mr. NCTomatoMan a year or two earlier at the Raleigh Farmer's Market selling seedlings. And I have been buying seedlings from him almost every year since then.

Wednesday, Lady K and I drove to Hendersonville to pick up a couple of seedlings. By 'couple', I meant a couple of flats!


So 27 tomatoes later, a few peppers and a couple of eggplants, I came home. I am really excited about this selection. And of course, they need to go into pots, of which I have to drill holes! So that's a job for today (hopefully). 


This is the 24 tomatoes I already have in containers. Of the 9 varieties I am growing from the Seedlinked collections, 8 germinated. In talking with Mr. NCTomatoMan, the one which didn't germinate gave him issues too, so I feel better since I was trying only 3 seeds and he had 50% germination on his seeds of the same variety. 

Two of the above already planted tomatoes will probably be given to a co-worker - one 'slicer' and one cherry variety.

But this is what needs to be worked on today.






















Part of my to-do list...

  • Buy bags of potting soil and mulch
  • Plant raspberries (4) and roses (4) in the ground
  • Mark out beds on at least one side of the front yard
  • Drill holes in poles
  • Plant out veggie seedlings into containers and the 2 little raised beds I need to put together
  • Empty out old potting soil and top up with new soil and plant beans - pole and bush types
  • Tidy up 'stuff'
  • Start the flowers up either side of the sidewalk to the house
  • Put hooks up on the porch to hang plants and hummingbird feeder

And I am probably forgetting about a million 'jobs' to do. At least the fish 'pond' has been cleaned up and set up beside the front porch. I have a couple of plants I want to plant around it to hide to container some. 

Part of my decision making today will be where to put the two 4X4 raised beds, one of which I will dedicate to herbs. Decisions, decisions!

So a busy day today. Luckily, it's suppose to be in the low 70's today for the high, so the weather won't be bad to work outside. 

Then fajitas for dinner and a long soak in the tub to round out the day! 

Let the planting begin!








Comments

Popular Posts