Food and Fun Friday - Veggies and Orchids!

I am going to try this again. I hate it when programs you think you know and rely on, they 'update' and all of a sudden it doesn't work - as well or at all.

Anyway...




So Wednesday I picked up another CSA box from Bush-n-Vine Farm. I added in some tomatoes, new potatoes and fresh green beans. Plus the last of some strawberries (for the freezer) and some peaches. I fixed one of the Mighty Spark Queso Fresco Turkey Burgers to round out the meal. Very, very good. 


I had several extra sweet potatoes, so I decided to 'fall' back and make a crustless sweet potato pie. Apparently, binge watching The Great British Baking Show does that to people. 

Thursday I treated myself a trip to Ironwood Estate Orchids in Hickory, North Carolina. 

Actually, getting there was really simple. Turn right, then left from my house and then 30 minutes up the road. Couldn't have been easier. Or a prettier location.

Ironwood Estate Orchids is located in a large greenhouse behind their house. And talk about some beautiful landscaping!


I was interested in this bed as I have several lilies I am going to be planting in a bed together. But this water feature was fantastic!


At the top of the water feature they had a planter of pitcher plants, much like mine. So cool.




I love this rock garden. So cool. I'm sure I can find a place for something similar in my yard one day. 

But then came the greenhouse.




The couple who own and operate the nursery, Dale and Phyllis, are a delightful pair. I had to make an appointment to see the orchids, but then I also got a personal tour and description of all the orchids. What a great time.

I did come home with a couple of new 'babies' and if I can keep the cat away, will hopefully successfully grow them and have them bloom for me. 

This is certainly a drive I will make again for some 'plant therapy'. 





















Comments

Popular Posts