Lady K is 10 Today! (And Laura's Tea Room Review)




Yep, 10 years ago today, I was freezing my ass off in Rapid City, South Dakota. I was babysitting 3 big dogs in a hotel room while Texter was at the hospital giving birth. Quite frankly, I remember Lady K's birth better than her mother's!

Anyway...

Last Saturday, Lady K's 'other mother' hosted a High Tea at Laura's Tea Room in Ridgeway, South Carolina. It was a quick 1 hour drive from my house down to the event. Unfortunately, Texter had been gifted with a raging case of bronchitis and had to miss the event. Personally, I think it made her feel worse than she already was.

However...

Lady K is fortunate to have a step-mom who has totally embraced her as her own. Plus she has a 16 year old sister now!




We will be hosting Lady K during her Spring Break and lots of fun times will be had. I do believe there is a trip planned to Raleigh and La Farm Bakery!

Anyway...

Miss Ashley made the arrangements a month in advance. I thought it a little odd some tea room tucked away in a little town needed reservations. However, although we were the first people there last Saturday, the upstairs quickly filled up with other ladies in hats! Yes, you definitely need reservations for their high tea.





Several of Miss Ashley's family (who have also taken in Lady K as their own) and friends attended. There was a nice party for the event. 





The lovely young lady in black is Lady K's sister, Lily. 

The table was beautiful. And we had two tables full for the birthday party. Please note, if you decided to indulge in High Tea here, it will not be a quick event! Expect to spend 2-3 hours making your way through the menu.





On the table when we arrived was a glass of iced Pomegranate and Orange Green Tea. Ok, I'm the iced tea maven and this was so good. I probably downed a gallon during the afternoon. Our 'opening' tea was a Blueberry Lavender Herbal tea, served hot, and also so delicious.

To start us off, we had a Lemon Poppy Seed Scone with Devon Creme. Unfortunately, I was so hungry by that time I practically inhaled it! Plus it was very, very good. Even Lady K, who is normally a very picky eater, consumed hers. 

The second course was a cup of Potato Leek Soup.




So I was more focused on eating than photographing the food! But this was ssssoooo good! It was thick and creamy. There was almost a taste of New England Clam Chowder about it. We were all almost to the point of licking the cups out, but Ashley, who was schooling us in etiquette, stopped us.

The third course was served on a three tier tray and was themed for St. Patrick's Day and was a take off of a Irish Ploughman's Lunch. 





I was thrilled to actually try a 'Victorian Cake'. After many episodes of 'The Great British Baking Show', and references to it, I was pleased to say I have actually tried one. This one was filled with strawberry jam. And there was 'sweet bread' which tasted like a banana bread but with blueberries. 

There is no way to tell you about the little fruit tart as Lady K stated her preference for it and since it was her birthday party, I let her have mine too. 

Our second round of tea was a Rose Petal Tea, picked out by Lady K. Yeah, it wasn't to our taste and we got more of the Blueberry Lavender. The tea wasn't bad, it just wasn't to our taste. 

Before we were seated, Lady K had her picture taken with the Queen.




Luckily, Lady K asked me to sit beside her as she presided over the table.




Laura's Tea Room is also a deli downstairs. And based on the slices of cake I saw on my way up the stairs to the tea, I need to go back. There are antiques and teas and tea pots everywhere. Upstairs, for the tea where the queen resides, are dozens of hats for those who don't have a hat of their own. You are encouraged to 'dress' for the High Tea. Jeans and a t-shirt would definitely stand out among the attendees. Downstairs in the deli area is much more relaxed. 

After the High Tea was over and all the crumbs eaten, we left and opened presents outside on their patio area. 

Lady K had been asked by Ashley how she wanted to celebrate her birthday and this was her choice. Aunt Savvy, 2000 miles away, wished she had been there. 

I left 'stuffed' and inside of getting back on the highway and driving home, I took the back roads home. It was a lovely spring afternoon and fighting a food coma, it was a nice drive back. Granted it took a bit longer, but worth it. 

Hmmmm...I might have to do this for my birthday in September! 






























 

Comments

Popular Posts