Seedy Saturday - 500 Square Feet!

On Friday, before going to work, I measured out and reset part of my vegetable garden area. Instead of having 2 long vertical rows and 4 horizontal rows, I extended the horizontal rows through the vertical rows. 

So now in my vegetable garden area I have the following planting areas:


  • 1 2'x14' right up against the back of the house with chicken wire across the length for sweet peas and sugar peas
  • 2-4'x31' and 1-3'x31' row - this extend through my two original rows which are vertical 
  • 1-5'x14 and 1-4'x14' beds which will be for pumpkins and watermelons

Hopefully, this afternoon I can plant some sweet peas and sugar peas along the width of the house. I also have 3 Nanking cherry bushes to get in the ground and some Rose of Sharon I want to plant to form kind of a 'wall' across the side yard.

There is also some lettuce, spinach and leeks I want to sow in the garden.

So I have a bit of the garden where I need to go across what were 2 walkways. Not really looking forward to that. But the 'vision' I have of the garden is exciting. Now to bring that vision into reality. 

This past week I picked up some wire to make a couple of arches in the garden for veggies to grow up. I want to 'go vertical' in growing several of the vegetables, like pole beans and small melons/squash. I will be picking up more wire on Wednesday, so I will have 4 arches in the garden. If I can figure out how to get some cattle panels from Point A to my house, I'll have a few more arches and wiring to tie tomatoes onto. 

I also picked up something I have been wanting for a garden for a long time...






I am putting it in the middle of my herb planter. I can't wait until summer when more herbs are in the planter and a couple of flowers growing up around it. 

While I planted 4 clumps of Black-Eye Susans around my bird bath and in the second herb bed I planted this...





I have a turtle in my garden. I want to have 'things' located throughout my yard which are fun little surprises as I walk through the garden. 

There are also some edging bricks I need to set up in the garden for the flower beds. 

But all these 'chores' will have to wait a bit. I have a 'High Tea' to attend today!










Comments

Popular Posts