Seedy Saturday - Let the Planting Begin!

It's sad, but I was up early this morning to pick up some seedlings from a small local grower. Plus it is rainy Saturday morning and I will be going into work later today. So...

I was off work Thursday and Friday and, hopefully, it is the beginning of spring without temps dropping to freezing again. So I have started my vegetable garden 'update' and other things which I want to do in the yard.

Thursday morning was a couple of quick errands to pick up a couple of bales of straw and to check out what was left at a local feed and seed store which is closing. I have decided to 'try' growing a couple of vegetables I normally wouldn't in order to expand my veggie varieties. Also, I wanted to pick up some more clover - this time white clover. My plan is to use the crimson and white clovers to 'take over' my yard and the pathways between my vegetable garden bed. 

Before running errands, the first round of seedlings were moved out onto the yard. 






Earlier in the week, I sowed a combination of the clovers on the bare patches in the front yard. 

I cleared out the small slope on the side of the house and sowed a flower mixture for pollinators and then laid out some straw on top. The dogs do run up and down the fence with the neighbor's dog, but I am hoping there will be about a 4 foot by about 20 feet strip between the herb beds and the dog path filled with flowers.

Around the herb beds was also tidied. I know some lemon balm has hopped over into the walkway and I feel, based on last summer, there are also some purple zinnias which have self-sowed. Fingers crossed some of the Hopi Black Sunflowers also self-seeded. 





I'm pleased that my Chocolate Mint has survived in the black planter. I don't think my regular mint has made it. My oregano, thyme, rosemary and lemon balm are lovely. I have separated a clump of salvia and placed it across the front of one planter. Two 'new' salvia have been planted, along with a snapdragon and dianthus. I am 'attempting' to limited the plantings to herbs.

Earlier in the week, I have planted the 3 Nanking Cherry seedlings along the back fence and 4 Rose of Sharon seedlings. The Rose of Sharon seedlings I planted from my side fence toward the house. My hope is to make a 'wall' of the trees to block out the view down into the back yard. There is about a 6 foot 'door' between the house and the end tree. 




When I planted the seedlings, I laid down some cardboard and placed mulch on top of it in order to stop weeds. I have gone back and placed the cardboard and mulch around the blueberries and the Nanking Cherries.  I do need more mulch now!

Friday morning was spent on the veggie garden! This will actually be the third veggie garden 'season'. 

The first year in my house, I had basically two vertical rows down the side yard in the back. A lot of the plantings were in buckets still.

Last year, I had the two vertical rows and made up 3 horizontal rows, which went fairly well. At least until the squash from hell took over things.

This year, my plan is to really focus on setting up a permanent arrangement which I can push forward each year. I am now making 4 horizontal rows and extending them into the 2 vertical rows. So I will have 4 long horizontal rows (about 31 feet each) and then 2 rectangles which are going to be used primarily for melons.

I did manage to get the pea fence up against the house and some things planted.







Against the house I have Sweet Pea Flowers transplanted. And the other half of the fencing Early Alaskan Peas were sowed. I have a row of yellow onions planted along the 14 feet of this bed. Then I have a small square of calendula planted, then some Detroit Red Beets and some Rainbow Swiss Chard. 

I am not a beet eater. However, I have had beet juice in a drink. So while I may try some roasted beets, they will be used for the beet greens in salads and the beets for juice. The the last half of the row is planted with Rainbow Swiss Chard. I will be using the leaves in salads too.

Plans were to work on a second row or at least part of the second row. However, I forgot I had to pick up Lady K for the weekend! And when I realized it, there a was rush to hit the road to get her. 

This coming week will be working on the second row. In that row, I plan to start my asparagus patch at the end by the strawberries. Then there will be some broad beans planted. I see them all the time on the British gardening shows. And they are supposed to be a good companion plant in the garden. So there will be some of those planted. Then there will be potatoes, Russet and Yukon Gold types. 

Another thing I am excited about for the garden is that I am erecting at least 4, if not 6, arches over the walkways between the beds for pole beans, small gourds, squash, cowpeas and cucumbers to climb up. I think it will be fun to have tunnels in the garden. Plus, they are supposed to be easier to harvest the veggies from as they will be hanging down. 

There is still A LOT of work to do in the garden. And hopefully over the next couple of weeks I will get  it done. My hours at work have moved from early morning to late afternoon/evening. This way I can play in the garden before work, rather than coming home and trying to do this in the heat of the day. 

Once the beds are set up, I will, over time, start adding boards to the sides of the beds. The back yard does have a slight slope, so this will help in keeping the beds in place. Also, as time goes by and I build up the beds, it will be helpful. But I can add a few at a time. 

But with a rainy morning and work this afternoon, little, if any, garden work will be done today. 















Comments

Popular Posts