Week in Review - March 13 - 19, 2023



It's been a fairly busy week. Mainly covering plants up at night and uncovering in the morning. Temperatures have been dropping at night into freezing. However, since the seedlings I put on the porch are fairly protected anyway, and other stuff seems to be able to take a bit of cold, (knock on wood), plants are surviving nicely.

However, I want to get into the garden!

One thing I did do this past week was to slightly reconfigure the garden area. I extended the horizontal rows which ran behind the house into the two vertical rows which ran beside the house. Because of that I now have three rows which are about 31 feet long. 

This leaves to 'rectangles' where the remainder of the vertical rows were to be pumpkin and melon patches. I did manage to get up my 'pea' fence along the back wall and have some of the wire for the four (or possibly more) arches I want to set up. 

Now for the temperatures to settle down!

I picked up a couple of lawn ornaments along with the wire this past week. And by helping a lady rake leaves in her yard (and carry some home for my compost heap), I have several Rose of Sharon and Black-Eye Susan to plant. The Black-Eye Susan I dropped in around the bird bath, the glazing ball is in the herb bed and the Rose of Sharon bushes will form a 'wall' from the front to the back yard with a 'doorway' in a gap. 

HB90 is starting up for Q2 and I am making plans for April - June. My main focus will be on getting the garden in, as well as, participating in Camp NaNoWriMo - editing my cookbook memoir. Part of those plans include going to afternoon/evening at work rather than early morning. I'm looking forward to that. 

But the big event of the week was Lady K's 10th birthday celebration at Laura's Tea Room in Ridgeway, South Carolina. It was so nice and she was so grown up looking. We won't talk about how she is almost as tall as her second mom!

Otherwise this week...

  • Wrote 4 posts
  • Completed 5 books
  • Attended the Master Gardener Group of Gaston County meeting and heard an interesting talk on IPM (Integrated Pest Management) - yes, it was interesting!

This coming week...

  • Attend by Master Gardening Class
  • Pick up two more 'rolls' of wire for the garden
  • Hopefully, get my sweet pea flowers and sweet pea seedlings in the ground 
  • Sow lettuce, spinach and kale directly into the garden
  • Get the Rose of Sharon bushes and the Nanking Cherry trees in the ground
  • Mulch around the berry bushes to keep weeds down

But for now, it's off to work for one of the last days of early morning shifts.

 

Comments

Popular Posts