Seedy Saturday - Lots 'Growing' On!

Weather has been unseasonably warm, with several rainy days this past week. However, I have managed to get some things checked off my 'to-do' list. 

Seeds have been sown indoors (again) and seedlings are being potted up. I am pleased with the look of my Amore Salmon Salvia which is already trying to bloom.




And my Torch Minty Ice Lavender is looking great.

My compost heap has been updated.




To the left is the old area where I have been tossing things over the past 2 years. I pulled some of the compost out of there already and am dumping vines and such in that area. I finally emptied out the mushroom blocks into the new compost area. Now to load it up with debris from the garden as I get things prepared for spring planting.





A new-to-me birdbath was brought home. It's painted iron, so very heavy. I love the look of it and hopefully the birds will enjoy a drink or two during the hot summer months.




Another addition are walkway lights. Of course, I put them in and then it becomes cloudy for a couple of days with rain. But I like the look of the walkway with the lights on. Makes my walk to the car at 4:30 a.m. a bit 'brighter'. 

Along with the walkway lights, I also found a nice wind chime which has nice, mellow tones. I enjoy hearing it when the wind blows.




During all the planting and 'rearranging' I have been doing, I am constantly coming across worms. This makes me happy. Worms mean good soil in my book. 

In one of the front flower beds, it is a delight to see so much which overwintered and is coming back to 'life'. 




One of the poppies is coming back nicely and looking like it might be taller than the ones I planted out last year. And my yarrow looks ready to bloom this year. My Sweet William in the sam bed is going gangbusters and more poppies are popping up. This bed should look really nice come summer.




My comfrey is also growing nicely. I can't wait until it's bigger and I can make some comfrey tea. 

And while I do have 3 peonies poking their heads above ground now, this one is the one which thrills me. 





This is the division of a peony from a dear friend in Montana. It literally went through fire. Has been dug up, stuck in a container, dragged from Montana to North Carolina. Basically, not treated gently over the past 6 years. 

But every year it has managed to put forth some leaves. I was very happy to finally give it a home by my front porch when I moved in a couple of years ago. 

And look at it! A flower bud!

This is what gardening is all about.




















Comments

Popular Posts