Seedy Saturday - DIY Rose Arbor



This past week I did manage, despite all my 'detours', to get one of my garden projects completed. I created a rose arbor (hopefully) for less than $25 dollars!

I had seen these concrete reinforcing mesh used as a bean trellis in a YouTube video. They are about 8 inches wide and 10 feet long. And at only $5 each at my Lowe's, it definitely fit my budget. I bought 4 of them for this project.

With my handy-dandy zip ties (I have a bag of 500 of various sizes), I overlapped two of them at one end and then poked the ends into the ground. The side next to the fence I used some zip ties to secure it. Then I created the second one, placing it right next to the first one. Then I zip tied them together all along the entire length at every junction. 

I had a couple of stakes in another area which were not being utilized. Uprooting them, I secured them to the side of the arbor on each side for additional security. Arbor done!

With rose bushes being out in the garden centers now, I picked up, both under $15, two red climbing roses. 'America' is on the left and 'Don Juan' is on the right. Both of them I am familiar with and they are tried and true growers. Hopefully, once the weather stabilizes, they will take off and will grow nicely up the arbor. 

I'll use some garden twine to secure the branches to the arbor and maybe doing a bit of weaving of the branches through the crossbars to help hold it onto the structure. 

My hope is, in a couple of years, you will be walking through a blaze of red roses which both emit a strong fragrance.

Note: To the front and a bit to the side of each of the rose bushes are two small lilac bushes. I will be pruning the lilacs to be more of a tree than a bush. It will be such a beautiful picture in the coming years.

 

Comments

Popular Posts